Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trans noise

84gl

my 3door has just started making a nasty winening noise in 4th and 5th gear the car only has 125,000 on it and i know this is not normal for a soob (being that i've owned 11 in my time) so any quick fixes to hold me over til spring break (in collage 400 miles form my other roos i don't want to drive back home to get the wagon right now ) I know it not the clutch its new and just changed the tranny's oil too and its full.

Now here is my next ? has anybody on the board put ea81 2wd 5spd trans in a ea82 car thats 5spd 2wd I'm asking because i have one and think it would get better gas milage with that trans here are the final drive and 5th gear ratio's

EA82 2wd 5spd

final: 3.90 5th: .780 RPM @ 70mph: 3159

EA81 2wd 5spd

final: 3.70 5th: .725 RPM @ 70mph: 2786

I second the oil issue - make sure whatever you have in it meets API GL-5 standard for hypoid gears (look on the bottle) - Mobil 1 synthetic is my preferred choice

drain the gear oil and check for particles - that will give you the best indication of what's going on

good luck!!

I used gl-5 80w 90 valveline and lucas It just made it a little quiter but its still roaring it 4th and 5th it is the trans not a wheel bearing or a tire it even does it with the wheels in off the gound and not under load of any kind so, whats next will the ea81 tranny go in without too much troble (clutch disk splines the same?) if it will its going in if not i'll be riding the lifted wagon which has almost 600,000 miles on it which wouldn't normally bother me i love my but being 400 miles from home and my tools worries me it likes to brake stuff but that could because everytime I drive it I'm going wheeling