Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blinking AT oil Light, Check Engine light, Spedo on/off

Hey I have searched far, and wide, and have yet to find a solution(s) to my problem. I have a 1999 Legacy GT 2.5L Auto, and here is what happened...

1. My spedometer goes on and off at free will, just driving down the road, and it will just go off, and come back on a few miles later.

2. My Check engine light, and AT oil temp light are flashing.

3. My car will turn on ok, but stop after a few seconds, unless I give it some gas to keep the RPM's at or above 1,500. When I come to a light or stop sign I have to put my car into Neutral, keep the RPM's up, and than shift back to drive after reving it up furthur to about 3,000 RPM. The car will operate fine when floored, and RPM's are above 3,000, otherwise severe slugishness, and sometimes loud popping noises under the hood, and out the exhaust.

I had Auto-zone pull the codes from an OBDII, and it reads "MAF low Input", and something about the Vehicle speed sensor. I have cleared them, but they just come back on again. I have replaced the MAF sensor, the ECU, and Ignitor coil with no success.

If anyone has any ideas, please please please help me out.

Speedo is common. Try pulling the dash and pull the 5 screws that hold the speedo in. Clean the circuit contacts and put the screws back in. These are the connections to the speedo as well as the hold-down screws.

The Vehical speed sensor could also be causing your speedo and trans problem. Get a new or good used one and replace it. Its on the right side of the trans about 10" back from the engine.