Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FT4WD tranny Q

I was pulling parts in a JY recently for a number of my family's cars, and I came across a turbo EA82 wagon with a FT4WD 5-speed tranny in it, I checked the rear diff to see if it was an LSD, and found the ratio stamped on it to be 3.9:1

please excuse me if I am wrong, but I was under the distinct impression that all turbo FT4WD's had a 3.7:1 for the final reduction - were there some with a 3.9:1 final? or did somebody put the wrong rear diff in it, and if so, would it cause any problems?

thanks

There was just a lot of weird things made at different times. Car is now so old that who knows what was done to it while on the road. That, and sometimes it seems like Subaru just put whatever they had on hand into cars.... I've seen things like that in yards too - turbo wagons with FT4WD D/R and diff lock just like an RX, but without the trim.

There was just a lot of weird things made at different times. Car is now so old that who knows what was done to it while on the road. That, and sometimes it seems like Subaru just put whatever they had on hand into cars.... I've seen things like that in yards too - turbo wagons with FT4WD D/R and diff lock just like an RX, but without the trim.

Where the heck have you been?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hmm - now does anyone have an idea as to how I can easily, and precisely tell if the tranny actually has a 3.9 in the front?

if that has the standard GL style gearing ratios, I would be interested in the tranny - because I think the transfer section could be swapped with that of a D/R 4WD, to make a 5-sp D/R FT4WD, with a REAL low range and the regular gearing ..... will look over it more .....

GD - so there was a car which was non-turbo and had FT4WD?? the car was turbo - I will check the # of axle splines tomorrow, and see where that gets us - if it is 23, I think I may buy it

thanks all

Hmm - now does anyone have an idea as to how I can easily, and precisely tell if the tranny actually has a 3.9 in the front?

if that has the standard GL style gearing ratios, I would be interested in the tranny - because I think the transfer section could be swapped with that of a D/R 4WD, to make a 5-sp D/R FT4WD, with a REAL low range and the regular gearing ..... will look over it more .....

GD - so there was a car which was non-turbo and had FT4WD?? the car was turbo - I will check the # of axle splines tomorrow, and see where that gets us - if it is 23, I think I may buy it

thanks all

well they MADE FT trannys that were nonturbo BUT they weren't dual range. It should have a 25 spline DOJ instead of the 23 spline. The XT6s I know came with that tranny along with some XTs and some nonturbo GL-10 wagons. Sounds like a swap job to me if you say the tag on the rear diff reads 3.90 since NO turbos ever came with a 3.90 gearing.

Sounds like a swap job to me if you say the tag on the rear diff reads 3.90 since NO turbos ever came with a 3.90 gearing.

that's what I thought, and that's why I asked - my next thing to figure out is if the tranny itself has a 3.9:1 ratio in it for the front diff, because I could see someone being sloppy and putting a 3.9:1 on the rear, and working the CD really hard

the tranny is not a D/R, but I think the housing bolt patterns are the same, so I could split the case on a standard 5-speed D/R, swap the necessary internals for me to install the CD (would have to use the D/R case). As the gear reducton for the lower range happens in a different part of the tranny, it wouldn't interfere with the FT4WD setup - vola - a one-and-only 3.9:1 5-speed FT4WD D/R transmission

don't ask me how I would do the linkage......

Are the drive axles for FT4WD a different length than a standard 5-speed D/R 4WD??

ok slow down there turbo. As far as splitting the case and putting the lower dual range in it, it has been said thats it possible and not possible. Do a search, you'll come up with an answer real quick. The bolt patterns are the same, you can bolt it directly up into the same spot as a regular manual transmission in an EA82. External linkage is the exact same from FT d/r to PT d/r. All EA82 axles are the same length, its the DOJ housing which is different IE from turbo (25 spline) to non turbo (23 spline). Although the XT6 transmissions are a 25 spline.