Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t coolant lines..?

Does anyone happen to have any pictures of a water cooled ea81 turbocharger on their engine? I'm trying to figure out where the coolant lines are really suposed to go, sense I can't really find a replacement hose for the upper cooling line. The ones auto stores show me are alot diffrent than the one that used to be on the car. For that matter, just pictures in general of the intake manofold and turbo charger on the ea81t's. I'm trying to get a feel as to how they're put together. Thanks!

Ok, yeah, mine looks like it's a standerd water setup, I've seen it the exact same way on so many ea81t's now, when I went looking around on the internet for ea81 turbo engine pictures. But Never saw a good look at where the temp sender for the dash was moved. I also need to figure out where to get a new upper coolant hose that isn't bent rubbing against the fan, because they actually had a standerd hose I noticed, same shape on every moter I saw, and mine had the same hose, so I'm thinking about going to Carter and asking them if they might find one. Thanks for getting thoes pictures in advanced! :-)

Ok, here is a picture of the upper coolant line (return):

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=9799&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

On mine, the temp sensor is tapped into the heater supply hose that comes off the metal line on the intake manifold. I'd be interested to see the end of that metal pipe on yours - to see whether it has a tee coming off it still.

Yeah, mine wasn't hooked up at all, thats why I wanted to see pictures of where it was hooked up. In the heater core hose Rob installed an aftermarket coolent temp sender and gauge in the car. But other than that, theres nothing extra in the heater core lines. The upper turbo coolant line, they actually made a specific hose that was bent in the right spots to come from the t-stat houseing and go to the turbo. I Saw it on atleast 3 diffrent ea81t engines when I was lookin for pictures, so I know they make a specific hose. Mine even had it, until the hose blew. Now I just have a peice of bulk hose that rubs against the fan.

I'm going to check with the dealership parts guy on tuesday, or monday. But yeah, no dash temp sensor was ever hooked up after the water cooling modification.

Ahhhh! Neato... Ok. Thanks Rob. I'm thinking about finding a second one of thoes T-fittings. Another question btw, did the dealership do the coolant upgrade on that or did you do it? I was curious how the passenger side head was done for the coolant line, Did it require a drilling and a tap, or does the head come factory with the bolt there ready for a coolant line?

Ok, Sorry my memory sort of lost it's self. The fact that the head is factory, Makes me feel alot better. Thanks Rob! I didn't remember the details on that factory fitting.

Monday: Next stop is Carter Subaru, where I will hopefully be able to find a coolant hose kit for the moter. I plan to get every coolant line replaced. I might want to do the vacume lines too, But not sure if I really want to get that complicated. I'll be looking into it for sure. I'll be posting more pics As I progress with getting this engine together and in the car. That poor parts guy almost knows me by name now :D

That was a dealer install, but I changed the turbo to one from a EA82T.

I told you a while back I had the stock T-fitting for the digi dash guage.

The right side head is specific for tubo's, it already has it tapped.

So you have the stock t-fitting and the one thats in there now came with the aftermarket gauge? I'm interested in the stock t-fitting:grin:

The holes in the head are there on all ea81 heads - its just the coolant drain hole.

The temp gauge on the '83s was originally in the thermostat housing, where the turbo coolant return now goes. Thats why it was put in the heater hose.

Monday: Next stop is Carter Subaru, where I will hopefully be able to find a coolant hose kit for the moter. I plan to get every coolant line replaced. I might want to do the vacume lines too, But not sure if I really want to get that complicated. I'll be looking into it for sure. I'll be posting more pics As I progress with getting this engine together and in the car. That poor parts guy almost knows me by name now :D

Good luck, I tried finding all the turbo coolant hoses and they sent me packing at Chaplin's. I don't think there are any parts like that left. I ended up making my own hoses for the turbo lines.