Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel filler pipe alternatives???

i have a 93 legacy l with the ever popular leaky fuel filler pipe. the car is just a beater with 200,000+ miles, and i use it on the weekends for hauling trash, etc. my question is this. instead of sticking over 100 bucks into getting a new pipe, is there anyone who has used a rubber hose to repair this? i am not sure if it is flexable enough, or even possible, but thought i would ask around. i may sound cheap, but i would rather not stick a whole lot of money into this car.

if someone has done this, or thinks it's possible, can you suggest what diameter hose to use? thanks for the help.

i should also add - i did a search but found nothing regarding alternatives to the pipe. and if i do need to replace it with the oem pipe, are there any other parts i should order that are prone to damage or breakage while replacing the pipe? thanks again.

yeah there is some kind of tubing/hosing you can use, not sure if you want to use rubber hose tho because gas and oil have a tendancy to eat it away after a while... just took a gas tank off my uncles old 78 ford, and the vent and fuel filler lines looked like they were just heater hose. not sure what the hose out of your car is made out of, but it sounds like it might be metal/plastic? I'd just go measure the diameter, get the same diameter heater hose or something and clamp it on. another thing that works great is that silicon rtv gasketmaker stuff, slap some of that all around where you are leaking and tape it up or cut up an old innertube or something and wrap it around it and clamp it on with some hose clamps.... usually you only need the gasketmaker, but you do that and it will last a little bit longer ;-)

Take the pipe off, sandblast it down, and see how big the holes are. If they are just lots of pinholes, pour epoxy into the pipe so that it coats from the inside. move it around slowly to coat everything. Let it cure and paint it lots of times. Then reinstall and wait for the rest of the car to rust out.