Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifting a 95 impL, AA kit vs strut/spring lift?

sayn3ver

Ok. First of all, hello to all. I am new here but not to board such as rs25.com I've been kicking the idea around of lifting my impreza? WHy? Because i spend more time off road then on. Second, its a beat up car, in various shades of primer, with a recently discovered rusted through rear quater panel(i have sanded, rust converted and spray painted for the time being, trying to decide the best way to fix the hole). So in essance, i love off roading, i do not have a cream puff body, and i am ready to bang, bust, and get down and dirty with no worries.

I know i want more ground clearance. But how shall i obtain it.

From reading and looking around, it appears i have narrowed it down to 2 options.

1) go with the AA lift kit for $600, use my current struts and springs(95L coupe) and achieve the 4inch lift. I have a buncha questions about this route. First, i understand its lifting the unibody from the subframe and lifting the struts. Will i have to modify hoses, linkages, etc for the body lift? I realize the engine will be sitting lower in theengine compartment and this causes concern about installation. I contacted AA and said they had no instructions i could look at online.

2). Go with the foster/outback strut and spring combo, lift car pretty good.My specific questions are, if i go this route, do i just buy struts and springs from outbacks/fosesters of the same year as my car(i realize the fosester didnt come out until 97/98, correct?) I know the forester shares the impreza platform. And since i have a coupe, will the rear strut mounting differ from the hatched impreza OBS? I want the most ground clearance i can get, so should i go with all outback parts? Can i use my exsisting strut tops with the new outback struts and springs? I did alot of reading and no one makes it very clear as to what exact model year parts to use. Most people just say use forester parts, but if the outback parts will yield me highler clearance, i would want to go with the outback parts.

Last, tire size. What is generally considered the largest tire i can equip with no cutting/modifying of fenders. I mean, i have seen few tires that seem like they would fit. I thought 215/75/15 is the smallest extreme off road tire companies make. Will regular All terrains in 205/75/15 or 205/80/15 fit work as well? Also, for tires like super swampers with the non standard 3 number description(xxx/xx/xx), what sizes fit,(etc, 29inch? 30 inch?)

Between lift kit and struts.springs, if overall lift height achieved is the same, what is more advantageous? I for one seem to lean away from installing a lift kit(would be doing so in my drive way) and towards the easier to install struts/springs. I have an auto also and do not know if that affects the difficulty or abilty to use the AA kit.

Thanks for you time, i know this was a bit long.

hrm, i dont have a new gen lifted roo, but i might be able to help. Personally, i would go with th AA lift. just because its bigger. i think u should be able to run the 29 inch tsl's. Might take a bit of trimming though. but u said ur not afraid to bash ur body, why not cut it a lil bit. U should be able to run 28 inch swampers with less body trimming of course. hope that helps a lil.

here is my 94 imp L wagon.... forester struts from a 99- and 215/75R15 BFG all terrains :brow:

DSCN1321.jpg

I am still waiting on my purchase of a lift kit, and tranny swap (4wd D/R) to see who has the best kit for the buck... or making it myself (we are all money savers here :rolleyes: )

otherwise, for how easy the strut swap is.. it has pretty good results for the money... and it will work with a lift down the road too when I get mine :D

I do not have the money and time right now to do everything. 1 thing at a time. I am wondering how much additional work isneeded to get the AA kit on and running.

After doing some thinking, i think i'd like to start off with the struts/springs first, and progress from there after i spend some time with the additional ground clearance and see if i need to invest in the AA kit.

Anyone with a new gen, will i need to fab up a homemade skid guard for my sump with the AA lift or will and of the numerous skid guards(like the primitive 3/16 inch) will work?

I would most like to see if someone can give me an idea of whats involved in the AA kit install. Struts and springs are cake, at least i think so( i do most of the work on my imp).

As for autos in the snow, i have never driven a manual suby in the snow. I have had some good experience(no serious off road experience) in the snow with m auto and love it. I have yet to get stuck anywhere and that was with bald all seasons.

I'd like to reiterate, that even with forester struts, without wheel spacers (which i think are not the best or safest idea) the biggest tire you can run are the allterrains that Austin is using. The tire size is limited by the struts, not the wheelwell.

I don't think you can get a 29 under even an outback strut. I can squeeze 27/8.50s, but only with a couple washers on each stud. Stock Soob wheels.

Who can say?

You'll get quite a bit of a lift with the outback/forester struts and springs. (probably the same part #) You can also add bigger tires that way. I'm kinda freaked out by the idea of adding length to the bottom of a strut to lift a car.

I'd go w/ the strut swap first, and if you need more.. then get more.

my forester strut swap loves being abused... and as for the AWD auto, it rocks in just about anything! :brow: especially if you can lock that center clutch pack :banana:

but yeah, i'm planning on getting the same size tire austin has, and i most likely will have to do some large hammer work.

I know you've sort of made up your mind, but nonetheless, it should be stated that an AA lift requires the use of Outback/Forester struts to gain the clearance at the spring perch....

so you're options are spring/strut lift

or spring/strut lift AND AA body lift.

that being said, EJ wheel wells are a bit bigger than old gen cars, Austin is running the exact size tires on his impreza that I'm running on my 4" lifted GL, and I had to do some serious pounding to get 'em to fit, and they still rub when I turn.

Zap.....the Outback/Forester strut mod lifts the car by extending the bottom of the strut. The AA kit puts blocks on the top of the strut just like virtually all the EA body lifts (excluding mine and a couple other's rear end....which I LOVE)

There is another option.....it will gain you 2-3 inches of physical ground clearance before tires , and is All suspension lift....:)

It can net you more if I include a Block kit to it as well....But you are still limited unless you trim fender to clearance for tire diameter....

Pm me if you want more info on it....

John

There is another option.....it will gain you 2-3 inches of physical ground clearance before tires , and is All suspension lift....:)

It can net you more if I include a Block kit to it as well....But you are still limited unless you trim fender to clearance for tire diameter....

Pm me if you want more info on it....

John

???

What are you up to?!

We have 29"S under both our lifted legacy and Outback with Outback struts. They will fit. The lift kit will get you high enough that you will not destroy your wheel wells. If you'd like pictures email me or just view the pics of the legacy here. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8751&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=2

He's asking about an imp.

And you're saying that when you turn and back up, no rubbing happens, that you're able to leave the wheel wells the way they are stock? And that when you get off camber and turn the wheels no rubbing happens?

You kept the plastic water guard right?

wow, what a huge amount of info.

Tire size isn't a big deal right now, i would like to run the biggested possible but i dont want to go to hell and back to do it. What does trimming the fender entail? My fenders arent mint and one already has a dent in it. It would be cool tho to show up to a trail run on super swampers and have my bro's truck buddies kinda stare.

As for lift kit or struts, i undertand the AA kit needs the forester struts. would it be easier to do the kit while i am doing the struts anyway? I just dont know how much work is involved in getting the spacers in the subframes.

The other reason i am shying away from the lift kit is because i dont feel like fabbing up a custom sump guard. I already banged in part of my oil pan and my tranny pan is somewhat funked up as well and definetly want a guard to be like top priority.

I do have the $$$ for both struts and AA kit, but then i'd have to wait for tires. I planned on using the stock 15inch steelies(i have 2000 2.5 rs 16inch alloy wheels on them now). Is there a better wheel option available, considering i am a college kid only working a part time job(cvs pharmacy tech represent).

Also, does anyone recommend another lift kit besides the AA. That kit seems to be better than the BYB one and i really havent seen any others besides the exspensive scorpion kit from australia.

Do both.

Actually, I would do the AA kit, Forester struts, and Scorpion springs, plus taller tires :P

LOL thats what i would do.. Well lets see...If you get the lift and strut swap done, then u could save up for some swampers :) Trimming ur fenders isnt hard, get out the ole' hacksaw or dremel or something. Zap's wheel wells look very stuffed with those 27's. I personally want to see a Imp with the 4inch lift and strut swap. maybe then u could fit 29's, but i bet it would be a very tight vit. another thing, is how about like BFG mud terrains?? http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=TIR&prodline=1864&catName=TIRES&man=BFGO 215/75/15. those tires would go nice. Not quite as mean as the swampers, but close.

well, I wouldn't jump to say that the AA kit is better than the BYB kit, they're both very good. however, BYB doesn't make an EJ kit....so you have to go with the AA one.

15" steelies are perfect for wheeling a subaru. most decent sized off road tires come for 14 or 15 inch wheels, gives you lots of sidewall for a larger contact patch off road, and allowing you to air down more effectively.

the subrame lift isn't too hard to install (well, I assume it isn't, it's not on an EA car, and the EJ's aren't much different) but even though a subaru lift is pretty straightforward, it's still amazing how quick the costs rack up. and tires are spendy. I'd say get the struts/springs, and some tires. and add the body lift this summer sometime, or next year...

Thank you.

I was asking if any one kit is prefered for the ej, or is cost a good enough factor?

So, is there a difference between outback and forester parts? If not, i am gonna order struts and springs(still might junk yard the springs if i can, going to go to a upull it this friday hopefully and see what i can come up with).

I am not looking to go do serious rockcrawling with this rig, just some moderate off roadness. I dont live near any trails that i know of (south jersey) but we have quite a few mud holes and various forests/pine barren spots that a lift for the suby would be helpful/required.

About skidplates, with the lift kit, will standard aftermarket ones work or because of the lowered engine, will i need to fab them up. I assuming just a big peice of steel that bolts to that lower radiator support bar and the jacking point under the engine will be good enough?

So to recap,

I think i am gonna do the struts alone first, with all intentions of doing the lift kit later this year(summer time is a good time) and not too far off.

With only the strut lift, the biggest size tire i can fit is a 27(which is either what, a 205 or 215/75/15 all terrain? or will any mud terrains fit? If so what size. I heard the dunlop MT's are pretty good

you could use either size, but I would say 215 would be about your max

doesn't matter what tread pattern, as long as it's about that size

the 2 sizes you're looking at are 27.1" and 27.7" so if you're going with something standard sized, that's your diameter, and I would say 7-8" wide would be good

AA is the only company to make an EJ body lift in the US

forester parts fit on impreza....outback for legacy

skidplate will be different after the body lift, you've got sort of the right idea, but you might want to make something a little more exact.

sounds like you've got a good plan! get started