Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 into an ej25 Outback swap questions

OK, so I've got the 2.5 engine out of my '98 Legacy OBW (5MT)..I'm planning on swapping in an ej22, I've read the various threads on the subject and was wondering if anyone could clarify a few points so I don't buy the wrong parts and make an expensive mistake.

The '95 dual port Legacy engine is the hot ticket, or you can use the later single port ej22s by changing the Y pipe to the new style.

Here's what I need to know:

1.) Does the '95 5-mt engine have an EGR port? I have heard that the only '95s with EGR were from automatic donor vehicles.

2.) Do ALL '96 ej22s have EGR ports?

3.) Are engines from MT and AT donor vehicles interchangable or not? I have heard that for some suby engines, a MT ecu will not work with an AT donor motor...different # of teeth on the cam/crank sensor sprockets or something?

4.) Use the ej25 flywheel& clutch or the ej22 flywheel/clutch?

5.) Do I use the ej22 intake manifold with ej25 or ej22 injectors? Which throttle body should I use?

6.) Any other tips?

Thanks!

Nathan

grab a dual port motor, it makes things easier. calling B.S. on the crank/cam sprocket difference, not good business sense to make it not interchange. dual port/single port/ mt/ at doesnt matter, they all interchange. you might find you need the EJ22 fuel rails but i doubt it. you will however need the EJ22 intake, which might come with fuel rails. clutch flywheel, and discs all interchange, i think you can even use the WRX disc for better grab, use a better aftermarket pressure plate also, one with more clamping power. as far as swapping throttle bodies, only do it if the throttle position sensor wiring and sensors are different, some have 3 wires, others have 4, keep the throttle body that matches your harness. since your car is a 98', and you might have emissions laws in your area, get a motor that has heads W/ EGR port, that way you will pass emissions.

~Josh~

grab a dual port motor, it makes things easier. calling B.S. on the crank/cam sprocket difference, not good business sense to make it not interchange. dual port/single port/ mt/ at doesnt matter, they all interchange. you might find you need the EJ22 fuel rails but i doubt it. you will however need the EJ22 intake, which might come with fuel rails. clutch flywheel, and discs all interchange, i think you can even use the WRX disc for better grab, use a better aftermarket pressure plate also, one with more clamping power. as far as swapping throttle bodies, only do it if the throttle position sensor wiring and sensors are different, some have 3 wires, others have 4, keep the throttle body that matches your harness. since your car is a 98', and you might have emissions laws in your area, get a motor that has heads W/ EGR port, that way you will pass emissions.

~Josh~

Thanks, that's some good info. You're calling BS on the ECU incompatability issue AT vs MT (which makes sense.) Obviously, the less differences, the less redundant inventory for the manufacturer. Still, I wonder why junkyards make such a fuss about whether the engine came from an AT or MT car...if they were 100% interchangable, why wouldn't they just inventory them all together?

Nathan

The engines themselves are the same from manual and automatic models, but the coil pack is NOT. Therefore, the wiring harness is not exactly the same, but will work if you swap the entire intake manifold including the coil pack.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Aaah, the good folks at CCR are chiming in! Thanks for the info Emily. Wonder why on earth they would change the coil pack depending on the trans type- but I will take your word on it. So, a '95 Legacy 2.2 MT motor will have an EGR port? I have received lots of conflicting info on this & have seen a picture of a '95 5-mt engine bay which did not seem to have EGR- but maybe someone had fiddled with it.

Nathan