Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Subaru Legacy Outback Quirky Speedometer

We've got about 80,000 mi on our 1999 AWD Legacy Outback. About 3 months ago, the speedometer would suddenly stop working, then start again. This continues. My mechanic checked the continuity of the wire from the sending unit to the speedometer and it was fine. Occasionally, a quick stop or start will jar the speedometer to work again.

Anybody have this experience? Anyone able to provide some solutions? I'm using the tachometer to ballpark my speed, and it doesn't work all that well.

First thing I'd try is the cruise control. Does it work? Or does it start to work and then shut off as if you turned it off by using the brakes. Next thing is to watch both the trip odometer and the regular odometer. Check the mileage against the mileposts on the interstate.

When your cruise finally doesn't work, your speedometer finally quits, and you can drive 180 miles while your odometer says you've gone 3.4 miles----I'll bet you it is the Speed Sensor on the transmission that is going out. Happened to my 97 Legacy Outback about a month or so ago. Others will comment it is perhaps the speedometer head that is going bad.

I am in agreement with the speedo sensor. I had a 95 legacy that did the same thing, causing the odometer to be off by about a 1000 miles. It happened when the car had 122,000 miles, the dealership cleaned the sensor (apparently there was oil dripping on to the sensor causing it to short out) anyway never had a problem with it after that, driving the car until I sold it with 211,000 miles. Not to sure how much it would cost to fix it, sorry. I would think that something of this nature would pop up a code on the dealer's computer.