Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead Cylinder?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:01 AM

Hello all. I have a 1987 Gl-10 Turbo, with a D/R. It seems like it is miss firing. I let it warm up and when it gets to operating temp and I pull the #3 plug wire, the idle doesn't change.

All the other cylinders make a difference if I pull the corresponding plug wire. I also pulled the injector wire off the 3rd cylinder and it does change the idle a little, but I notice a big difference when I am driving without the 3rd injector.

I haven't done a compression check, there isn't gas in the oil or water in the oil (or vice-versa). I said that because it is the infamous 3rd cylinder on a turbo...the one that tends to burn up first.

Thanks for you time,
Justin.

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:12 AM

Whats the plug look like?

Whats the resistance in the plug wire?

How's the inside of your disty cap look like?

How do they cram the duck inside the turky when they make turducken?

Even if the plug looks good on the inside, make sure that the enamel isn't cracked, or it may be bypassing the important parts.

#3 fbh

fbh

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Auckland

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:21 AM

You might be having the situation I had where adjusting the timing did nothing. Take the car on the highway, and drive for 10, 15, 20 minutes in a low gear so the engine revs about 4k, 5k. Decoke it, in other words. If carbon buildups are sufficient in the cylinders, they can start glowing red or white hot inside the cylinders, igniting the gas just before the spark plug can.

#4 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:11 AM

Oh, believe me when I say, there isn't any carbon on those cylinder walls.

#5 Sister7

Sister7

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Port Orchard

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:25 AM

It's possible you're having valve issues. I would run two compression tests one dry and one wet. For the wet test, put a few drops of oil into the cylinder. If the compression is higher in this test it is likely that your valves are disfunctional. You can also do the poorman's compression test to start; put your finger over the plug hole to see if you're getting any compression at all.

Is it a constant miss or a constant performance decrease with an irregular/loud miss? I had a burned valve in my '86 wagon and it was the later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users