Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuild question

Not terribly difficult. Hardest part is finding good heads for the EA82T. All the bearings and rings you can get from fed-mog. Gasket kits for those are best got from the dealer. You will need a special tool to remove the piston wrist pins so you can split the block - there are two halves to the block. Other than that they are usually pretty simple. Most only need a hone, as the soobs don't wear the cylinder walls - just the rod and main bearings get trashed.

GD

definitely, valve job, valve stem seals and new headgaskets can do wonders for the running of the motor. do a compression and leak down test if you can and let us know what the numbers are. the blocks are robust, the head work you speak of can do wonders for bringing them back to life.

if you're worried about compression and suspect the bearings are good (since the motor runs fine right) you can re-ring the pistons as an option as well. i haven't done that, but will need to when i build my new EA82 shortly. some good information on here if you're interested in that option. for instance, the pistons are removable without splitting the block. there's some info on this site detailing how to do it. i have to split the block since it doesn't have a crank in it, so doesn't matter to me.

price the main and rod bearings and piston rings and see if that cost/labor is something you want to do. if not, just do a head job. head job is really easy and super easy to do in the car. i've done a couple EA82's and a bunch of 6 cylinder XT6 head gaskets in the car, you can be done in a day if you have a set of heads ready to roll.

since i'm building an EA82 i've priced parts for it, i can post them later if you're interested and maybe we can compile the best prices. haven't found a good source for rings yet, the main and rod bearings seem to run 30-50 bucks a set, not bad at all. doing the work is the frightening part!

Well to tell you the truth I'm hoping to find someone local that I can bring it to. If I go thru the troble of doing rings I will do it all. Austin pulled the heads and resealed the motor before I got the XT from him. Thing I dont like is you can try the motor over pretty easy with a ratchet on the crank pully. Thinking she is getting tired and the last thing I want to do is put a TD04 on a tired motor.

Let me know how yours goes. :)