Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wonder how I'm gonna do it

I have known of this 4wd turbo sedan that is almost identical to mine for a while now. Just sits there with a busted out back window. So today I stop and the guy tells me the motor is seized and that I can have it for 100 bucks.

1. I am unemployed and really don't have 100 bucks to spare

2. It's near my parents house (2.5 hrs from mine so I'd have to trailer it home because my mom already wants my parts outta her driveway..Good thing she doesn't know of the ones hidden in the garage :D Trailering is time and ALOT more money with the gas guzzling truck my dad has and the heavy rump roast trailer of my brothers. That's 180 miles down and loaded and 180 miles back..uphill)

3. My wife would definately divorce me...hmmmm J/K

4. Can't have a junk car in front of the house. Don't really have room for the ones I have now.

But, it has a 5 spd I can use instead of the autocrappy I have now. More disc brakes. Extra body and interior parts/rims/etc...

I didn't really look at it but I can say, it has some dents/rust back seat is now green (back window gone, remember?) He says the turbo is good but the motor is seized..hmmm? He looks like he knows a little about cars so I will believe him.

I think it was 108K on the clock.

Anyway, Here's what I am thinking. If anyone could use parts, list them here with the price you'd be willing to pay so if I have to convince my wife I would be able to show her it would be beneficial. And before anyone says it, no the guy will not part it out at his house. Heck, I just want my parts, and I'd sell the rest to someone else if they wanted it. Or, we could make a deal if someone wants to keep it at their house, get my parts for me and then it's theirs to part for $$$$. I don't know, I just really want the tranny. That in itself is worth 100 bucks. I gotta find a way........

It's an 87 4wd turbo sedan. I think the front seats are still good. I will let you know if I get it. My wife "sounds" like it won't be a problem but she doesn't want me headed back up that way for a while. (Don't like me going alone) anyway, I will definately let you know. I want it. Boz

Originally posted by Hocrest

Boz,

If all you want is the 5 speed, Harry's is full of them. Push button or Dual Range take your pick. Only $50 for a tranny.

Where's this Harry's? I'm out in Albany, NY, looking for a late eighties GL. the_alleyboy has a car that I might be picking up, 'cept the fact that it has a 2wd auto tranny in her... I'd want to put in a 5 speed 4wd d/r, if my fiance doesn't cut me off first :D

Where's this Harry's? I'm out in Albany, NY, looking for a late eighties GL. the_alleyboy has a car that I might be picking up, 'cept the fact that it has a 2wd auto tranny in her... I'd want to put in a 5 speed 4wd d/r, if my fiance doesn't cut me off first

Harry's is near New Ringgold, PA. Not far off I-78 and the new Cabela's!!

Harry's is in Hazelton, PA. Probably about an 90 minutes south of Binghamton on Rte 81. Just south of the Rte 81/Rte 80 intersection. The yard in New Ringgold is Joe's EZ Pull I think. That would be about another 45 minutes south of Harry's.

Harry's - http://www.wegotused.com

All the cars are on jackstands (welded steel rims) so you will have easy access.

If you need a hand when you go, let me know. It isn't too far from me.

I haven't looked at any of them closely, but everytime I've been there there have been half a dozen or so dual ranges there.