Ultimate Subaru Message Board

please help. 87 soob wagon makin noise

Well i am not sure whats goin on with my soob. It is making a really loud drum roll sound. But its only when i am in gear and moving. when in nuetral and not moving it dosnt make any noise. it is really really loud i woke up my neighbor one time cause of how loud it sounds. it starts of as a low sound but when i step on it a little harder it makes a lot louder of a noise. :banghead: So i f you guys could help me i would appreciate it. I have looked up other threads and found one. I also talked to some people and they think it could be a number of things (u-joints, axle, cv joints-which i dont think because it does not sound worst when i am turning, and exhaust) I would really like to get it fixed. Please help me out.

Thanks

P.S it is not my oil lifters i put a brand new oil pump in it not even a month ago. and even then it only makes the sound when i am moving, not when i am just idling or revving.

well solved the problem, it was my exhaust. it was loose haha well its all fixed now :headbang:

I tell my wife I will be out side, "Bonding with the Subaru." which means something broke and I get to go out and figure it out which isn't a bad thing cause I learn something every time I bond with the roo! Glad to hear it was something simple.

well solved the problem, it was my exhaust. it was loose haha well its all fixed now :headbang:

If it loosens up on you, I found that on my GL, it sometimes helped to put some RTV sealant (black or orange worked... I prefer blackish grey stuff though) on the exhaust gaskets. Use a 14MM deep socket to put the studs/nuts on. Careful not to strip out the cylinder head though.

PS, im the guy who helped fix it today :grin: