Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hay guys, I have the 92 svx, I have been going thru flex plates since the aamco transmissions first rebuilt the trans (they suck by the way) I'm going on my 3rd now, this last one came from subaru (so i was told), it seems its been cracking on my snatching on the car, it takes a bit of time but non the less....Is there something i dont know about this issue, is it common by any means, im going to replace this one my self, any input on this issue?

When it starts, i hear the damn thing hitting the bell housing on full throttle and as time goes on, it gets worse and requires less to start, the 1st one went all together with and left me on the highway.

Can they be reinforced?

OH! im also leaking gear oil as well<not sure if its from the input shaft though,im suspect considering the issue at hand.

never heard of this happening before. seems to me something must be causing this and will fry the other you're about to install.

why was it rebuilt in the first place, what happened to this thing before? did they reuse the torque converter? maybe replacing the torque converter would help? that's a wild stab, but i've never heard of this happening repeatedly.

really bad transmission or motor mounts (doubtful though). they'd have to be horrible because i've never had bad ones cause issues like you're having.

I bought the car in baltimore I live in new haven CT<since i knew the tranny was bad buyin it on ebay i had aamco pick it up, rebuild it there so i can drive her back, turns out the pinion gear was pushed away from the ring gear after there was a set of teeh that broke off and cracked the diff housing, so not only did i pay for the rebuild but the case and diff/ring/and pinion (dont even ask about cost, the body likes to forget pain), and of course i knew of the known tranny issues with them prior, so im thinking that its just the normal rebuild.

I went to school for automotive, but hated the automatic trannys, not my line of great exposure, so im not familiar to what to look for into this, im going to pull the engine (easier from top than bottom) to get to all this, that tranny is damn huge, if i had my way ( $ ) she would be changed to stick if i could, that would make her perfect.

No tranny mount nor engine mount issues from the time i bought her (2 summers ago), and the torgue converter was replaced twice, once from the begining, then "supposedly" the 2nd flex went and the screws were stripped from the first aamco in baltimore so the one here replaced it again.

I have this same problem on my 90 Legacy Sedan, Only I have'nt replaced the transmission I have had to replace the engine due to cracked block 3 times. Anyways I have also had to replace the flex plate 2 times and now that I finally have a newer model 2.2 in there (no cracking of block) its broken again, it makes that loud squeek/hammering sound when you start the car and when you rev it up, The only thing that I have been able to figure out with these is that they are very sensative to the torque of the bolts on the rear crank, I just have impacted them on in the past, and they always seem to crack right in that area, also pay close attenion to the alignment of the transmission/engine maybe if its off, even a hair, it would be putting stress on the plate and causing it to crack over time.

Hope this provides some insight........

Hi to All, first timer here. soobcollektor hit the nail on the head. Alignment is critical!! Whenever the engine and trans come apart you have to pay attention to the two dowels that align both. If even one of the dowels go missing, the trans to engine alignment will be thrown out and cause stress to the flex plate. The engine to trans bolts are not precise enough to align both units. Look for the dowels! Good Luck, Marte

Thanks guys,

The last plate i ordered from subaru myself for those wonderful "mechanics" to put in, as to wether or not thay did or not is a different issue, this time its going to be at my hand, as for the std trans, this is most certianly going to happen at some point, i dont have the funds for the kit nor a complete car to strip as of yet so shes going to get her last plate for now, im picking up a smashed (drivers side door) svx in a couple of weeks guys so im prob going to sell stuff from it, just giving heads up ahead of time.

As for mods, shy of the under drive pully and an k&n in box (baffel removed), nothing else at this point.

The only thing i can think of is an out of balance torque converter, not enough to notice, but enough to stress the flexplate. Something is not mounted parallel to the flex plate. i dont think its the flex plates fault, i think its the transmission or the transmision installers fault. You may have to bite the bullit and take it to another shop and let them diagnose it.

nipper

Yup, I plan on going to have a conversation with a guy here i have known for some time today, i still would like to do the work myself though, im not used to anyone touching my cars but me. I hope i can get to the bottom of this issue so i can finally enjoy the car without being paranoid every time i snap the throttle down...thanks much again guys.