Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coolant temp sensor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 subestyle18

subestyle18

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Woodinville

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:48 PM

93 legacy 2.2, and i need to replace the coolant temp sensor but not quite sure where it is. I've been looking all over the intake manifold but dont see it a little help would be great, (pics even better)
Thanks
David

#2 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:07 PM

93 legacy 2.2, and i need to replace the coolant temp sensor but not quite sure where it is. I've been looking all over the intake manifold but dont see it a little help would be great, (pics even better)
Thanks
David

If it's like on my 96 2.2 L, it's under the passenger's side rear intake manifold plenum. It's got two wiires connected to it and it screws horizontaly towards the front of the engine. You have to push aside or disconnect a few wires and vac lines to get access to it. Takes a ratchet and extension to take it off and replace.

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

yeah it's under the pass side intake manifold. here's a pic

http://www.main.expe...rs/DCP_2477.JPG

http://www.main.expe...rs/DCP_2476.JPG

#4 subestyle18

subestyle18

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Woodinville

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:14 AM

Thanks guys it I found it and replaced it but it didnt seem to fix the problem. Im starting a new post to see if some one can identify the problem.
David

#5 Eikari

Eikari

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Reykjavik

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:56 PM

I´m now trying to replace the sensor and having a few problems.
1) How is the electrical connector disconnected from the sensor?
2) Do i have to take the manifold off to replace the sensor or can i just use a deep socket to get to it properly?

Thanks in advance

Einar

#6 a97obw

a97obw

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:38 PM

I looked at the photos above in this thread, and if yours is like that one and mine being a burnt orange/red color then I'd suggest you grasp the male end of the connector (the end with the wires) between your thumb and forefinger and squeeze.....the $%$#^ thing has a "rocker" kind of operation that lifts the latch of the male end of the plug over the "barb" (note first photo above) on the female end and then pull the connector loose.

Sometimes I think that just figuring out how to undo the electrical connectors on a Subaru is the hardest part of any job!

And for the temp sensor, you might want to drain a bit of coolant from the system before you remove the sensor or from what I've heard you'll make a mess. (I haven't replaced mine, but I did disconnect it to remove the intake to do a head gasket job on my 2.5)

#7 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,643 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:10 PM

Yeah....there's a connector that snaps onto a part of the sensor. You just push the connector part down, and pull/wiggle the connector off.

#8 Eikari

Eikari

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Reykjavik

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:00 AM

But do you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the coolant temp sensor?

#9 frag

frag

Soob shade tree mechanic

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  • Montréal, Québec, Can.

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:07 AM

But do you have to remove the intake manifold to replace the coolant temp sensor?

No you dont. Just push aside some wires and hoses and use a ratchet extension.

#10 Eikari

Eikari

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Reykjavik

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Thanks! :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users