Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok i am pretty sure it is my fuel pump that died i just want to make sure before i drop the gas tank on what you guys think. This is a 1994 Impreza L and I was driving down the interstate and it started kinda putting a little kinda like the fuel was cutting off or something and it was jerking some and losing power and then it just started doing it alot and pretty much lost all my power. When i start it up it will start but when i push down on the petal it revs a tiny bit then it will a little more then ill hold it to the floor and it will go a little tiny bit for a second then die. I cant think of anything else it could be other than that. Tell me what you all think and your opinions and if you have had the same experience / symptoms.

Thanks Jordan

So after you replaced your filter everything was good again? Because it didnt feel like it happened slow. It was running fine then started doing that then was done and my freind who had it before me let the gas run out of it all the time and i know that that can kill a fuel pump.

Happened to me once, replaced fuel filter. Just a thought!

A way to tell if the fuel pump is working is to turn off all accessories and the stereo, and turn the key to the ACC/on position (do not start it). You should hear slight whir noise from the rear. That means the pump is building pressure to start, and is probably fine. If yours is a wagon, the fuel pump is probably found under the floor mat of your trunk on the passenger side near the rear seat bench. If it is a sedan, you'll have to remove the rear seat. There is a metal cover that is easily unscrewed and an electrical connector sits on top - unclip it (it may stick, and be covered in a mouse nest like mine was).

The fuel filter is under the hood. Look to the right hand side of the engine to the upper left of the windshield washer reservoir. Unless the impreza is much different than the legacy, a black can like object should sit there with fuel lines entering it. the lines are probably clamped on. Do NOT remove the lines until the fuel pressure is bled out. Either let the car sit overnight, or unclip the electrical connector to the fuel pump and start the car. It will stall eventually. Even then it pissed fluid out on me when I changed mine. Have many rags handy. If your fuel filter is clogged, there is probably a LOT of baack pressure built up. Make sure when you install a new filter that you have the inlet and outlet lines hooked up proper, or you will have problems!

This instructions are good for a 1990- 1994 legacy, and probably similar for you. Good luck.

is the filter part of the pump assembly

?

Still havent replaced the filter yet but the car started up fine to turn it around to where i can put it under the light and acted like it ran fine so i doubt that it is the pump. I guess the filter is probably the best and cheapest guess at this point. I just really dont want to have to get my car towed again fromt the side of the interstate lol. It really sucks lol/

If the problem is highly intermittent it might also be a plugged fuel screen inside the fuel filter. material from the gas tank might accumulate and clog it while running, then fall off when not. Especially likely if you run the tank down often.

But try the fuel filter first.

Still havent replaced the filter yet but the car started up fine to turn it around to where i can put it under the light and acted like it ran fine so i doubt that it is the pump. I guess the filter is probably the best and cheapest guess at this point. I just really dont want to have to get my car towed again fromt the side of the interstate lol. It really sucks lol/

tried the fuel filter. The screen on the pump didnt really looked like it was clogged but ima get some gas later on to put in it just to be sure it has alot to make sure that isnt a problem at all then if it doesnt start again im going to get a new screen to put on the pump i guess. as soon as my brother gets home im going to test the spark plug wires to make sure none of those are going bad. My plugs didnt look fouled or anything. Fuel pump is deffinitally working. you can hear it pumping just fine.