Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How exactly do i install a new clutch cable?

Well routing the cable is actually the hard part - especially hooking it up to the pedal...getting both hands under the dash and being able to see what you're doing aint easy on most cars.

The adjustment should really be a piece of cake, unless you need to co-ordinate it with the hill holder, in which case it becomes a little more tricky, but not exactly difficult.

I suggest removing the "initial pedal effort reduction" spring from the pedal assembly since this allows more play in the pedal movement. Getting it back on once the cable is taught can get aggravating but it's worth the extra ease of installing the cable in the first place.

i went to checker, because they offera 5% low price guarantee. i bought the cable, fiddled with it a while, finally got everything in it's respective hole, went to link it up and found that it was too short. i then went to my local subaru dealership and they said the earliest they could get one in would be next monday. should i just go to the junkyard and get one? would it be strong enough? i know it would be cheap.

this guy i call santa, who gives me all kinds of free parts, came up w/a temporary one from a car that he stripped. i went ahead and ordered the one from subaru. one thing that i figured out from "santa" that everyone else neglected to tell me was that when installed, the pedal needs to have about an inch of "play" before it engages. this is so some bearing doesn't spin all the time. probably just slipped your minds, but thats the kind of stuff i was looking for in my original post. but thank you all very much for the help and advice. take it easy:wave: