Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ wiring harness questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 03:07 AM

Hello all. I was wondering if there is a difference in the front harness between years of EJs. I don't mean Ej22 is different than ej25...i mean did they change the harness in the years within the EJ22?

I'm talking about the front harness that is required for conversion/transplant into an EA series.

Thanks all for your time.
Justin.

#2 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 08:09 AM

well.......................

I bet so.

I'll look at the FSM's when I get time.

#3 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:39 AM

Thanks Will.
By the sound of it, with your new RX project, it doesn't sound like you have much time.:lol:

#4 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:56 AM

The EJ harness, 90-94 is basically the same thoughout, but the colors of the wires have changed and there is a different setup with the diode, and some of the relays.

#5 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:01 PM

Yes there is differences.

For example, the engine electrical harness for the 90-91 n/a legacies use 3 square connectors. The 92-94 n/a legacies use 2 square connectors, while the 91-94 turbo legacies use two square connectors and one round connector.

#6 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 02 February 2006 - 11:57 PM

yes, many differences, DO NOT use somnones wiring colors for any given harness, chances are its NOT the same and will not work for you. your just going to have to buy a haynes or chiltons manual with the wiring diagrams and figure out which harness you have and mark all the wires form the ECU, and trace them to whereever they end. long and tedious, but well worth it.

~Josh~

#7 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,385 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:43 AM

not only is the colormatch a ***************,if you get one from a later model the harness comes out on the back of the engine instead of the drivers side.(which going into an ea-81 is not good)ea-82 works out well.

#8 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:35 PM

so.. not to hi-jack but if I wanted to use a 97 motor with a 90-94 ecu.. could I? the reason I ask is because I can get a ej22 but it is a 97 and I dont want to mess with the whole speed sensor deal. So I would like to use the other older ecu.

#9 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 06 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

thats what i did, i used 96 impreza motor with 1990 legacy wiring and ecu. had to swap throttle body to a 4-wire throttle pos. sensor, and had to plug off EGR on intake manifold.

~Josh~

#10 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:07 PM

As josh mentioned, you have to use the engine wiring harness from the 90-94 legacy so the engine connectors hook up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users