Ultimate Subaru Message Board

West Coast Subaru Show #8 Hat thread

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

always happy to help :)

Go back several post and look at the design I started. Its just a starting point/mock up. Any help will be appreciated and considered.

here is a design i threw togehter using your idea.

of course details can be dumbed down if it is to complex for the machine.

I can also make it any color or colors

WCSS8HAT.jpg

btw no one better tell me thats a cadillac symbol.

Thats if I buy the hats from Subaru. Which I'm not doing, I'm getting them from the place that is doing the embroidery. If the product bearing the TM is not being used to promote another business and the sale of its products, I dont think there is going to be a problem with using the logo. If you dont feel right about it, I wont force you to purchase a hat:cool:

If anyone cares to read thru all the legalise of TM, Copyrights and Patents, heres the link:

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/tac/doc/basic/index.html

I have never seen a registered mark on any of the Subaru logo's, only on the name itself. And the logo I'm using is the Old School one.

:eek: Gee man, just suggesting how to avoid the trademark question. :-\ No need to bite my head off. :lol: JK

:eek: Gee man, just suggesting how to avoid the trademark question. :-\ No need to bite my head off. :lol: JK

Oh, sorry. I wasnt trying to, honestly. Been under alot of stress for a while:-\

I dont want to step on any trademark toes either. But it looks like this type of thing is quite common. When people use the logo and names for enhancing their business's, thats when the originator comes after them.

Oh, sorry. I wasnt trying to, honestly. Been under alot of stress for a while:-\

I dont want to step on any trademark toes either. But it looks like this type of thing is quite common. When people use the logo and names for enhancing their business's, thats when the originator comes after them.

By the way, 'JK' means 'just kidding'. :lol:

Im down for subaru hats with our board names on the back. Flexfit would be nice. Maybe we could do both flexfit and regular adjustment hats. I'd be willing to pay extra for a flexfit.

ditto. i've got my SWRT fanclub hat, and the american version from LLbean. the LLBEAN one sucks.. but a flexfit would be BEYOND badass.. i'd pay up to 35 bucks for one of those.

i like both the wreath *gives it a old school feel* and without.. yeah lotta help huh. :) what about if we were to talk to a dealership, and see if they could hook us up with the TM laws? or.. cant we say like on a tag inside or something (i know the tag would be difficult) like the whole speil "Subaru emblems and body designs are registered properties of fuji heavy industries LTD and used under licence by FHI LTD" or something? what if we were to like.. put each hat in a bag, and on the bag state "subaru and the stars logo is property of FHI LTD" would that take care of the copywrite? or.. could you sell them and a zero profit? i know that would suck, but then no one is making money.... and it might for-go FHI coming and SLAYING US ALL! i wonder if even a simple letter to FHI would go a long way. when i wrote to subaru off of www.subaru.com down in the "contact us" spot, they were super cool , and quick with responses. i'm going to email them... just for grins, and see what kind of response i'll get. actually i'll wait until i hear from everyone, maybe you dont want me doing that, if its cool though, let me know, and i'll burn off a professional email.

:) <---wants to help, can you tell?

Luigi

i highly agree wit sparky!!! i love that one, nice en' simple. i think simple is good. that would look good on a hat. :-D

can we get some pro-fit hats? i'd be willing to pay even 30 bucks for a nice pro-fit hat. white with the blue subie emblem and yellow writing would be awsum!!

ditto. i've got my SWRT fanclub hat, and the american version from LLbean. the LLBEAN one sucks.. but a flexfit would be BEYOND badass.. i'd pay up to 35 bucks for one of those.

i like both the wreath *gives it a old school feel* and without.. yeah lotta help huh. :) what about if we were to talk to a dealership, and see if they could hook us up with the TM laws? or.. cant we say like on a tag inside or something (i know the tag would be difficult) like the whole speil "Subaru emblems and body designs are registered properties of fuji heavy industries LTD and used under licence by FHI LTD" or something? what if we were to like.. put each hat in a bag, and on the bag state "subaru and the stars logo is property of FHI LTD" would that take care of the copywrite? or.. could you sell them and a zero profit? i know that would suck, but then no one is making money.... and it might for-go FHI coming and SLAYING US ALL! i wonder if even a simple letter to FHI would go a long way. when i wrote to subaru off of www.subaru.com down in the "contact us" spot, they were super cool , and quick with responses. i'm going to email them... just for grins, and see what kind of response i'll get. actually i'll wait until i hear from everyone, maybe you dont want me doing that, if its cool though, let me know, and i'll burn off a professional email.

:) <---wants to help, can you tell?

Luigi

I appreciate your efforts to help. But I think in this case, we could shoot oursellves in the foot (yours). Let me take care of any issues with the copyrights, I just need input from everyone on the design.

WCSS8HATcopy_mine.jpg

hows that? pretty simple, nice colors. i hope u like it lol, took me like a hour in paint.(aint got photoshop installed)

Nice, but what I'm looking for is a dark colored hat with gold lettering. We've already had a few yes's for that configuration.

Personally, I wouldnt touch a white hat. I would leave grease marks:-p

How about flattening out the design, so its more oblong? It will wrap better on the front of the hat.

I'm not a PTO lawyer, but I'm giving my $0.04.

Most companys have a "fair use" clause in the protection of their trademark. As an example, it allows Sportsmart to advertise Nike equipment in newspapers etc, using their swoosh. However, Sportsmart is not endorsing Nike, nor is Nike sponsoring Sportsmart. It is just a mutual use agreement that promotes both companies.

For the hats, the error in our ways right now is that no one has included the "registered" trademark symbol (circle R) next to the word Subaru. On my website, I use the Subaru name and logo with the circle R. By including it in a phrase, I do not imply that Subaru is sponsoring or endorsing me. I am just marketing to a specific vehicle; the same as if I were selling floormats to fit Subaru vehicles.

IMHO, using the word "SUBARU" alone at the top of the hat is implying that Subaru is endorsing. Even if you include the circle R.

However, again IMHO, I would see it as fair use if you put "WEST COAST" at the top, and "SUBARU SHOW 8" at the bottom, including the circle R after SUBARU.

As far as the logo - perhaps using the USMB version is safest.

This is not legal advice, just a darn good opinion :D. r/ PK

(I really doubt Subaru will flinch over losing royalties from 200 hats, LOL, and the remotest possibility is you'll get a cease and desist letter - and you say okay.)