Ultimate Subaru Message Board

DEAD Hakkapeliitta 1, why can I run my spare?

Hi ALL!!

Well I hit me a PotHole in MAss! I dented and destroyed my 16" stock GT Alloy. Hakkapeliitta 1 is destroyerd, broke bands. Now I know that they don't make these anymore! But even if they did, I couldn't by one and put it on my replacement rim I'm getting from the Salvage Yard? RIGHT!? Because I have ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!! So, the question IS! Why can I put on my spare, with no miles on it....and run that, WITHOUT destroting my ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!????

Thanks, SubeeTed

A better answer is that the MT is less sensitive to unmatched tires than the AT. Run a Subaru MT with unmatched tires long enough, and you'll be looking at an expensive new viscous differential.

The spare tire on a Subaru MT is for short term use only. The original matching tire is to be repaired and re-installed ASAP.

By the way, over the seven year period that I have been on this board there have been a number of MT drivers that have ruined their viscous differentials by running mismatched tires. That being said, over 90% of the people posting with center diff problems are AT owners.

I had a flat recently in my '98 Outback auto trans and had to steal a fuse to put in the FWD fuse box while the doughnut was on.

Can anyone tell me what size fuse I should purchase to keep exclusively for the FWD fuse and can I purchase it at any auto supply store?

Thanks,

Jim Kasper

Get a new or used alloy wheel. Your favorite autobody guy can get them for around $135 ea, new from the dealer. Call Nokian and they can recommend a replacement that will be compatable with the Hakka 1. They have awesome customer service folks. Call the local race shops and find out who locally, can shave a tire. They can match the diameter to your existing tires.

This is the only issue with Hakka's that scares me. I'm on my fourth set, but some of them are hard to find later in the season. Otherwise, they are awesome tires. I'm running the Hakka 2 on my 02 Legacy GT.

Jack

Can anyone tell me what size fuse I should purchase to keep exclusively for the FWD fuse and can I purchase it at any auto supply store?

The owner's manual doesn't specify the fuse size. Use a 10, 15 or 20 amp, any of those should be OK.

Owner's Manual says:

NOTE (If your vehicle is AWD with automatic transmission) Before driving

your vehicle with the temporary spare tire, put a spare fuse inside

the FWD connector located in the engine compartment and confirm

that the Front-wheel drive warning light comes on. The all wheel

drive capability of the vehicle has now been deactivated. After reinstalling

the conventional tire, remove the spare fuse from the FWD

connector in order to reactivate all wheel drive.

I had a flat recently in my '98 Outback auto trans and had to steal a fuse to put in the FWD fuse box while the doughnut was on.

Thanks,

Jim Kasper

The fuse box (near the battery) should have 3 spare fuses in it. There are slots just for that purpose. I put a little fuse puller in the box myself. It can be hard to get a grip on those fuses with just your fingers, especially if it is cold, wet, etc.

Commuter

I guess it's NOT a true PotHole! Just that there NO road for your tires to go!! It's hard to tell, but this is in a bend. And when I went through it it was in the middle of the night, with a car coming the other way, with a little fog.

That must have been one heck of a pothole. Are you sure it was a pothole, not a sinkhole? :-\
Phole.jpg