Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Surging idle (dies sometimes)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 subestyle18

subestyle18

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Woodinville

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:18 AM

I have a 93 legacy with the 2.2 and about a week ago the idle started surging (500-1000) and idleing really rough. It will even die sometimes when the car is just sitting. Another one of my cars had a simalar problem and it was the coolant temp sensor so i replaced that but it changed nothing. Any ideas would be great. The check engine light will go on at highway speeds but never stays on more then 30 sec's or so. I dont have a reader so i havent pulled the codes.
Thanks
David

#2 sasquatch

sasquatch

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Vancouver

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:27 AM

The ever popular MAF or look for vacuum line issues....lots of threads on dealing with MAF issues, use "search"

#3 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 02 February 2006 - 01:34 AM

Mine had issues with the IAC, get some seafoam down the vaccume line in there, and let it soak for a little while and it should get better. If its the IAC.

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,652 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:49 PM

I have a 93 legacy with the 2.2 and about a week ago the idle started surging (500-1000) and idleing really rough. It will even die sometimes when the car is just sitting. Another one of my cars had a simalar problem and it was the coolant temp sensor so i replaced that but it changed nothing. Any ideas would be great. The check engine light will go on at highway speeds but never stays on more then 30 sec's or so. I dont have a reader so i havent pulled the codes.
Thanks
David

Pull the ECU codes
www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

#5 jib

jib

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 173 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

Pull the codes, but surging and hunting often means a failed O2 sensor.

Jack

#6 aa8jzdial

aa8jzdial

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • muskegon michigan

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:56 PM

David

Had the same surging problem on daughter's 90 2.2.
Swapped out the idle air control unit and all is well.
Wish I had thought of the seafoam treatment though.
rick
w. mi.

#7 subestyle18

subestyle18

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 210 posts
  • Woodinville

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:09 PM

Though i'd let ya know how it worked out. I pulled the code #32 o2 sensor. Replaced that, still a bad idle. Started hunting for vacume leaks and found that the drivers sides intake manifold gasket had blown out, making one of the cylinder miss at idle, that probaly killed the o2 sensor. Replaced the gasket and now im running great. Thanks for the help and the info on how to pull the codes.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users