Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1996 legacy outback wagon

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:29 AM

hi there,

I JUST BOUGHT A 1996 OUTBACK WAGON IT DIDNT COME WITH A OWNERS MANUAL. I NOTICE THAT ON THE SHIFTER IT HAS
PARK-REVERSE-NUETRAL-DRIVE-3-2-1 MY QUESTION IS WHEN DRIVING AROUND TOWN DO I DRIVE IN D OR 3.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS SUBARU THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT OR HAVE CHECKED OUT. I DO SMELL A FAINT
ANTIFREEZE WHEN I GO BY CAR AFTER DRIVING BUT WHEN I LOOK UNDER THE HOOD I CANT FIND ANY SIGNS OF A LEAK IS THIS NORMAL.

IM JUST LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON KNOWN PROMBLEMS WITH THIS MODEL. IT HAS A 2.5 LITER - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 166,000 miles

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:46 AM

Moving to new gen.

PS, try turning the caps lock off. Not nice to yell at everyone with your introductory post ;)

#3 dunkinman

dunkinman

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • chicopee

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:08 AM

Moving to new gen.

PS, try turning the caps lock off. Not nice to yell at everyone with your introductory post ;)

hi whats up yeah thanks for the info on the cap locks

dunkinman

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Gold Subscribers
  • 4,979 posts
  • Texas

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:15 AM

hi there,

I JUST BOUGHT A 1996 OUTBACK WAGON IT DIDNT COME WITH A OWNERS MANUAL. I NOTICE THAT ON THE SHIFTER IT HAS
PARK-REVERSE-NUETRAL-DRIVE-3-2-1 MY QUESTION IS WHEN DRIVING AROUND TOWN DO I DRIVE IN D OR 3.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY INFO ON THIS SUBARU THAT I SHOULD LOOK AT OR HAVE CHECKED OUT. I DO SMELL A FAINT
ANTIFREEZE WHEN I GO BY CAR AFTER DRIVING BUT WHEN I LOOK UNDER THE HOOD I CANT FIND ANY SIGNS OF A LEAK IS THIS NORMAL.

IM JUST LOOKING FOR ANY INFO ON KNOWN PROMBLEMS WITH THIS MODEL. IT HAS A 2.5 LITER - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION - 166,000 miles

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

use 'D' unless you have a need to lock in a lower gear or other unusual circumstances.

You could always order a manual - try Jamie at www.subarugenuineparts.com also, look around at www.cars101.com

Definetly investigate the coolant smell. Could be a simple as a bad radiator cap.

welcome to the boards!

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,084 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:51 AM

use "D".
2.5's have headgasket issues, the "search" function is your friend. practice with it and it'll give you lots of help. you'll see lots of headgasket issues with the 2.5 liter of that vintage.

of course hoses, leaks, radiator caps should be checked first. does the temp gauge hold steady or move around?

have you popped the hood and checked for coolant loss or to see where the smell/fluid is coming from?

first thing you should do is put a couple gallons of antifree in the car, just in case. best to have some for back up than blow the motor if it starts to overheat.

#6 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,637 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 02 February 2006 - 10:00 AM

Welcome

If your putting AF in the car use the premix. The AF smell, check all the easy stuff first. Usually the 2.5L blows a headgasket internally. My 97 OBW does the same thing your does, i just keep an eye on it, as its so minor i cant seem to find the source, and just keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

nipper

#7 subastic

subastic

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Asheville

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:05 PM

hi there,

SINCERELY YOURS

NEWBE SUBE

My 97 obw had a slight temperature problem, really just a fluctuation in the temp gauge upon strenuous driving, i.e. start and stop, up hills, etc.

There are usually just three reasons for this:
1. The worst case: head gasket is blown
2. Not as bad: the coolant clumps in the radiator, solved by replacing the
radiator and coolant
3. The thermostat is bad

I replaced the radiator and hoses and the temp sender and all is well.

You know its the head gasket if the coolant smells like exhaust, just open the radiator cap when it is COOL, and smell the coolant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users