Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ticking: please help me diagnose!

I have an '84 GL Wagon that has developed a ticking noise in the passenger side of the engine. If it were a Chevy I would suspect a partially collapsed lifter or maladjusted rocker arm, but being a Suby I have no idea for sure. It seems to dissappear into the other engine noise when you rev the engine so I suspect it's not a rod knock or anything........Could I simply need to adjust my valves? If so is it hard to do? Does it require valve cover gaskets?

fuel injectors tick, be sure it's not an extra noisey injector.

reseal the oil pump.

if it's an EA82 engine, new oil pump to engine block, oring and front seal are in order. (if it's an EA81 then i'm not sure.)

do a search for "tick" or "ticking" or "tick of death" or "TOD", you'll see tons of information about this.

it could be a hydraulic valve lash adjuster sticking. if it's an EA82 the valves are not adjustable, it uses the HLA's i just mentioned. if that's the case then MMO, seafoam or ATF added to the oil may help. sometimes works immediately, sometimes over a few months of frequent oil changes it'll clear up.

frequent oil changes are a must on these motors, the HLA's don't like to be dirty.

sounds like a dirty lifter - being an '84, it will be an EA81 with hydraulic lifters - some ticking is normal for these engines, so I would not worry too much about it - best recommendation is to use Marvel Mystery Oil during oil changes, and use a synthetic oil - frequent oil changes help too

being an '84, it will be an EA81 with hydraulic lifters

No - actually that's why I asked if it was a manual or auto. Only automatics got the Hydro lifters on the EA81's from 83/84. 85 and later were all hydro. Check the valve covers for a gold or silver sticker that reads "do not adjust vavle clearances". That would indicate you have a replacement engine with hydro lifters. If it's stock tho, it will be solid lifter.

You most likely have solid lifters, and they require manual adjustment every 15k miles. Pretty easy to do actually. Get some new valve cover gaskets for the job (or lots of RTV). Haynes manual will cover it, or if you need the specs I have them too.

BTW - ticking is NOT normal for the EA81 hydro lifters. They generally never tick in fact. Only time I've had them tick is right after doing head gaskets and the lifters had air in them for a few minutes. Perfectly quiet now. NOT like an EA82 at all in this respect. Makes sense since the valve train is the major difference in the engine designs.

GD