Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Squeal at freeway cruising speed

I have a 2003 Outback Limited wagon. It has about 28,000 miles as of Jan 2006. Last summer (or maybe it was 2004, time flies by really fast), I started noticing an intermittent squeal mostly on the freeway at cruising speed (65-70). It wasn't constant and didn't always happen. Cruise control on and off. Driving a short distance, driving a long distance, the only constant seemed to be the speed. It has happened less frequently, but I'd love to hear some ideas about what might have caused it. Sounded like it was coming from the dashboard.

Is it a squeal or a squeak? I may be experiencing almost the same problem on my '03 Outback VDC. Ever since we got really cold weather, I've been hearing a squeaking at random times. Sounds like coming from the steering wheel, but I can't consistently reproduce the sound. Only seems to happen every so often, but it even happens in warm weather too. I'm only at 27k, so I'm slightly upset.

Mine certainly squeaks and creaks like crazy when chilly, especially when I first got it last feb. But it doesn't seem to creak as bad anymore.

As for this squeal, possibly the air fan? Sometimes something gets caught in the air vent system like a leaf and makes odd noises.

Is it a squeal or a squeak? I may be experiencing almost the same problem on my '03 Outback VDC. Ever since we got really cold weather, I've been hearing a squeaking at random times. Sounds like coming from the steering wheel, but I can't consistently reproduce the sound. Only seems to happen every so often, but it even happens in warm weather too. I'm only at 27k, so I'm slightly upset.

I tend to get some loud squeels when cold (and I mean cold, like 40 below) Somebody mentioned to me that it could be the ac bearings? I'm not sure but I am interested in this subject as well, I've also had this happen when accelerating around a corner in city driving

I occasionally get a short high pitched squeal from the passenger or driver's door seal near the mirrors when a strong gust of wind hits me just right. This only happens on the highway around 65-75 mph on gusty/windy days. If this is what's happening, then I wouldn't worry about it.