Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front to rear..different gear ratio??

what does it feel like if things are not matched properly? and how do you tell by looking at part no.s or whatever on the outside of the unit? 87 auto 4x4..when i bought it the step father or something of the guy i bought it from made some comment about it just having the transmission switched not too long ago.. couldn't really drive it in 4x4..snowy/icy roads, but it just felt bad..really bad...like it was just going to spin wildly out of control at any instant..and it did a few times...

If the two diff are different ratios, the transmission and rear diff will bind up. With an automatic, the effect may not be a dramatic as a standard tranny. On slippery surfaces, one set of wheels will spin fasten then the other, on dry pavement, the difference will cause a binding that could eventually cause major damage to one or both.

Look at the rear diff, theres a silver tag on it. Might be under a bunch of grease. It should say its a 3.7, at least thats what you should be running with the auto tranny.

If the ratios are the same, I would say you have some tires that are not of the same size.

I thought if it was turbo it had 3.7, and n/a it was 3.9?

Look at the rear diff, theres a sivlver tag on it. Might be under a bunch of grease. It should say its a 3.7, at least thats what you should be running with the auto tranny.

If the ratios are the same, I would say you have some tires that are not of the same size.

I'm very sorry for the "not so smart, Dumb, answer". I thought I'd add my $.02 but I added a wooden Nickel I shat the other day LOL. I guess I'll read into things a little more. Sorry!

He needs to know if its a turbo tranny. The spline count is different, but the gear ratio is the same. The GL 4WD 5spd and DL 4WD 5spd are 3.9.

The turbo is 3.7