Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cybrid Power steering (xt6) in ea81 body?

ShawnW

shawn,

jeep guys do use XT6 pumps. i'm going to be installing one in my XT Turbo. the jeep guys run them continuously as far as i know. i'm sure some have elaborate set-ups but for the most part they slap them in and go with constant duty cycle.

i plan on going with a complete XT6 swap - power steering rack into my XT Turbo. the two issues are the speed sensor and steering column sensor (if you're trying to get the XT6 stock power steering computer to work with it), which i am trying to do.

i already tested the steering column sensor and the system works without having that. if you sit at zero miles per hour for more than a couple seconds the steering pump will not operate. normally it will kick in again if you turn the steering wheel (the sensor turns the pump on). but without the sensor you won't have power steering if you stay below a certain speed...like 5-15 mph for more than a few seconds. i can live with that. or...if the column is easy enough to swap maybe i'll go that route.

haven't had time to research the speed sensor, but i'd like to get that to work. if there's a way to get a speed signal to the P/S system i think it will work perfectly. if not i don't think the computer will ever cycle the pump on because it thinks you're not "moving".

i have a couple XT6 parts cars and plan on stripping the wiring out and seeing how terrible the computer wiring is for the complete power steering swap. if i can do it, fine. if not i'll look to alternate methods.

with all the extra parts i have i may try continuous running of the pump and resort to the computer if i have significant failure of the brushes or pump. i may be able to devise my own simple control too...

what was your plans on controlling it?

and please,don't be shy post your results..........:D
i will have spare parts for sure, already do. i'll post whatever i figure out, that's for sure. it'll be a few months before i get to the p/s, i have a motor swap to do first. you just might have to remind me. i'm doing EA82 though so there's really nothing hard about that. the EA81's i'm not familiar with.

if your using a 87 or later EA-82 they have a speed sensor in the speedo unit. i used the speed signal to feed my ECU on my EJ20G swap, and it works awesome.

-=Suberdave=-

awesome, thanks dave. mine is a 87.5 XT Turbo (digidash) so hopefully mine has something to work with. probably doesn't even need to be exact, anything close should register. for instance if the gearing/sensor is a little off maybe the steering will stop at below 9 mph instead of 15, big deal.

thanks!

So other than whats mentioned above, what else does the ps computer do? For instance, does it disable or reduce the power steering above a certain speed?

I'd also be interested in retrofitting one of these, one day.

So other than whats mentioned above, what else does the ps computer do? For instance, does it disable or reduce the power steering above a certain speed?

I'd also be interested in retrofitting one of these, one day.

right. check out xt6.net there is TONS of info on the cybrid stuff

I'm curious if it would be possible to just run the power steering in a reduced mode all the time and eliminate the need for a speed sensor or column sensor? This way you don't have the constant current draw of it running at full speed. I'm a strong guy, I could turn the wheel with the P/S running slower if at a stop.

I'm curious if it would be possible to just run the power steering in a reduced mode all the time and eliminate the need for a speed sensor or column sensor?
yes. i'm not doing that so i'm not sure how to accomplish it but with a little electrical tinkering it would not be hard at all.

To answer your question Shawn. Yes, they have been retro'd into EA81 vehicles. Just run a hot lead to the control box. You do not need any of the sensors for it to operate. I am considering doing this to the big Brat. I just have to find a place to mount the controller and pump.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the EA82 steering pump and associated lines. The line fittings are identical, so after removing the pumps the only additional work needed is to swap the lines from the pumps to the bracket at the passengers side of the motor mount.

Since the XT6 power steering pump requires the special "liquid gold" steering fluid i'm going to be swapping an XT6 steering rack. i'm ordering new impreza steering rack bushings for it. I imagine you could drain the EA82 steering rack and run the special fluid in it, but while i'm this far i want new steering rack bushings anyway, so the rack almost has to come out anyway. might as well throw an XT6 rack in there.

I'll have the XT6 Pump, XT6 Steering Rack, New Impreza Steering rack bushings XT6 steering lines.

We'll see how the electronics part of the swap goes, the power controller and computer for the P/S system.

• 2 weeks later...

completed installing the XT6 steering rack into my XT Turbo. This is very easy and i am glad not to have a belt driven power steering pump anymore.

I used:

XT6 Steering rack.

New Impreza Steering Bushings.

The original XT Turbo tie rod ends (i'll upgrade to XT6 when i do the 5 lug swap)

The original XT Turbo Lines with fittings that screw into the steering rack.

The XT6 power steering lines from the pump (these attach to the XT Turbo lines mentioned one line above this)

All went well, very easy to do (i had the motor out though) and everything bolts right up.

Look forward to giving it a spin once i drop this JDM motor back in it.

Then the computer/wiring fun stuff begins!