Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Listen to this exhaust.

I might start making custom mandrel bent Y pipe header manifolds, I will get some pictures up of the one I am working on when it is done. As for changing sizes in pipe, you don't want to go from bigger pipe to smaller pipe.. you can burn up your valves that way. Duals are great, but your engine will run smoother with a Y pipe. It creates a suction that helps pull exhaust of off the oppoising cyclendar, great for low end torque! Duals would be great for a really free flow application with an aggressive cam and over size/dual carbs...

Matching you intake pressure with your exhaust pressure is the best way to go.

as for size of pipe only go:

stock size to same size

stock size to bigger size

big header to bigger pipe

If you don't think this is the case weld a plate on the end of your muffler then drill a small hole through it, you'll get the same results quicker :rolleyes:

i will be doing something simular when it warms up outside. i just went today and picked up a 2.5 inch thrush glass pack, and some piping and clamps since i don`t know how to weld:mad: it should sound pretty sweet, going to do a single so i don`t sacrafice back pressure. and then a big chrome tip to top it off:grin:

do you guys thing the glass pack should go up towards the y-pipe or towards the back?

picked up a 2.5 inch thrush glass pack, and some piping and clamps since i don`t know how to weldquote]

Be careful, I did the same thing a few years ago, using very tightly clamped clamps and JB weld to get the muffler on the pipe, but it still fell off (on the freeway). It would be worth it getting another board member to weld it for you; Adam NDJ did mine for next to nothing.

yea, maybe that is the way to go, the glass pack actually has quite a bit of weight to it, so that will also put some strain on the piping. i am going to try and make some rubber hangers too.

yes, welding is your friend when it comes to exhaust. I welded mine all up on my '78 and had no leaks! Also, get a stock EA82 muffler and cut the metal hangers off of it and weld them onto key locations on your exhaust so it can hang from the stock location. Just make sure you hang it before you go welding it all up.

• 2 weeks later...

:brow: sounds interesting:brow: only problem is that i got my liscence suspended again:banghead: ......its a long story:-\ and it wasn`t in a soob;) it was in that damn fast hyundai:lol: maybe still if i can get a friend, or my pop to give me a ride up, and tow the brat behind. that would be cool to weld up the exhaust and off road for a couple hours (one place where i can still drive:D )

any progress on the hatch? hows she running?