Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I took the cover off of the 92 legacy ECU this morning and noticed that there is a taped over base for an older memory chip to plug in. I'm wondering if it is a spot to put in a prom chip for some purpose by subaru? Has anyone noticed this before? Is it a spot for a chip for the turbo model? I'm curious.

Legacy777 might know what that's for.

I took the cover off of the 92 legacy ECU this morning and noticed that there is a taped over base for an older memory chip to plug in. I'm wondering if it is a spot to put in a prom chip for some purpose by subaru? Has anyone noticed this before? Is it a spot for a chip for the turbo model? I'm curious.

Actually, it looks nothing like the 90 ECU.

It's a single main board job, with a heatsink with 3 power transistors and a couple of IC's running parallel and sticking up on the same side of the board as the yellow connector bus. keeping the yellow connector at the bottom, the main set of IC's are in the upper left quarter. the 28pin landing port for a chip is in the far upper left of the board, again with the connector facing down.

kind of remarkable the difference in construction between the years.

the sticker on the ECU says:

Q7

22611 AA932F

JAI8000 RL8 2514

if that helps.

Having the 400 whp chip would help, seeing as i'm planning on shoving some boost down the throat of this poor motor.