Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First Post: What to look for/avoid in a '80-'85 Wagon?

As my signature suggests, I'm shopping for a pre-'85 4x4 wagon with the dual-range 4-speed. Are there things unique to these cars I should look for or try to avoid while shopping (besides the normal used-car shopping stuff)?

Basically, I'm looking for something as straight and rust-free as possible. I'd like something I can turn into a reliable second vehicle for runs to the trailhead, dump or home and garden store, or exploring back roads--probably not hardcore 'wheelin.

Some things I like to see, may seem obvious.

Lower miles, 100k to 150K.

Some sign of proper maintanence, such as,

Records if available.

If not,

Overall clean appearance.

Genuine Subaru parts such as belts, hoses, oil filter. If not

OEM, should be good aftermarket and in good shape.

Even tire wear.

No funny noises, pulling or jerking when driving, no big oil leaks.

I alway look underneath the car to see if there are obvious signs of abuse, such as, a lot of dents scratches and scrapes to the underside, unibody of the car.

Try every accessory on the car to make sure they work properly.

Check the axles boots, fluid levels, etc.

If all of this looks good, take it to a respectable mechanic for a inspection and run a carfax report.

I'm sure there are many other things I'm forgetting.

Welcome aboard and good luck finding a car, there are some nice ones out there in this area and reasonable.

Mark

sounds like the basics are all there..

Subes are great cars, but you really need to get cozy with your regualr maintenance..Research on how to change an axel, and have all the neccessary tools, cuz it will happen that you'll need to change one, for certain. It can cost as cheap as $15 if you get a junkyard axel,$70-$100 for a remanufactured axel, and as expensive as $250 to get changed in a shop.

The more you know about your sube, the more you'll love about it and be able to fix the quirks

Thanks StromTrooper. My wrench turning skills are a little rusty, but I always enjoyed it. I used to own and love a '72 Datsun 510 and did all my own work on that car (including replacing the rear differential and u-joints), so once I get up to speed on the pre-'85 Subarus I should be golden.

I would kill for a '72 Datsun 510..that's my only other favortite japanese vintage car...that car ripped everything cool design-wise off of the euro performers, and made it cheap and solid!!

You might be intrerested to know, there's some people on here who have mated the datsun/nissan r160 transfer cases in to early 80's subaru's, making it a rear-wheel drive/4X4 that has like a 50 to 1 crawl ratio, or something..

Cool! A fellow member of http://www.nwhikers.net had a '72 501 wagon with what he called the "SUV mod"--basically big tires, more power (L20) and cut-out wheel wells or a lift, IIRC. I had another buddy with a '72 Sport truck converted to 4-wheel-drive.

QUESTION: There are specs for some old Subarus in the archives at www.cars101.com but nothing for '80-'82. Are the specs for the '80-'82 4x4 dual-range wagons about the same as those for the '83 and '84? I'd prefer an '80 to '85, but is there any reason to shop for a particular year?

some early 80's wagons are 1600cc, like mine, but only with a single range 4 speed I think.

In '84 they made a turbo version of the EA81 motor. Any EA81 made after, '84 will have a slightly different head, not sure what the improvements were.

I would get an '80 -'83 wagon, just cuz they have the "Third Eye" passing lamp, which is pretty cool. Other than many small differences, such as interior, headlights, and a few other minor things, the guts were the same, 'cept some had single range, and some had dual range 4x4's...

If you want a 5sp, dual range, you will have to rip the tranny out of a newer model sube, and do some modifications, but it will fit with not too much of a pain in the arse...Only thing is, the 4th in the 4sp. has the same overdrive capabitlites as the 5th in the 5speed.

Thanks for all the info. StormTrooper. I haven't developed any preferences regarding the details yet.

I want a pre-'85 for the ground clearance, and I'd like the 4-speed dual-range tranny. They might come in handy for getting to (or closer to) trailheads. They will also come in handy if I ever try to run with any of the more hardcore members of this board ;)

you are in the right neck of the woods for the hardcore nuts, thats for sure...Once you start driving your furure sube, you'll guarunteed be tempted to take it way past the trailhead, that's for sure!!!

all the luck to ya...you shouldn't have any trouble finding a great old sube up there.

Originally posted by XSNRG

Hey Dante, you're welcome. One other thing I should mention, there are a few of those cars around right now reasonable so wait for a good one!:D

Thanks--I have time to shop around. I saw an October 7 listing in Oly for $600 and change. Any chance you've seen it? Here's what the ad says:

'81 GL Wagon . 4WD, runs great, straight body, starts 1st time $695. Jesse 490-5205.

I haven't called, because I don't know when I'd be able to get down there and it's probably gone by now anyway.

I also have a line on another one that sounds good, but it's a 5-speed and i'd prefer the dual-range 4-speed...

I've also posted WTBs here, in the classifieds at http://www.cars101.com (a site run by Carter Subaru's online sales manager) and a couple other places...