Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1600 JDM ... how do I identify it? *** new pics ***

Heya all! I just bought a '78 brat, and it is rumored to have a JDM motor with 60k miles ... I just was curious what to look for to see if it is indeed a JDM ... the original owners are now deceased, so I can't ask them (kinda weird .. have ot take their death certificates into the treasurer's office :o ) but anyhow, I am going to try cleaning the block up some, was just curious what to look for thx!

Ok ... I cleaned up the head a little and where I would normally see "EA-71" the head is smooth, and a little more to the center of the engie, I see a raised section with "NO 25610M" on there ... the "M" is weird tho it is right against a braket of some kind and it's actually a differant kinda character than a "M" it has a lower top the the right side of the "M" I'll take a pic tomarrow too dark now tonight

how I found the most easiest way to ID a JDM engine was by these two things...

First off, both of the JDM engines I had had an EA81 waterpump on them, not the ordinary EA71 waterpump with the external waterpassage across the top of the block for the intake. Second, they both had the "Void if Removed" buttons on the heads as well so if it was overheated, then there was no warranty.

Other then that, I have found them to be both identical except for the external water passage vs the internal water passage, and if you have a rare GF engine, its a high compression engine depending on the year. I had one and you could feel the difference in the horsepower vs. the stock engine.

hmmm wow I must have some freaky weird motor then ... I will post pics tomarrow ... the guy I got it from (second owner) thought it was a 1800, but it has the dimensions of a smaller motor than the EA-81, I'm really guessing EA-71 .. but I guess it could be something else ... either way I plan on replacing it with a EA-81 + D/R 5spd

Other then that, I have found them to be both identical except for the external water passage vs the internal water passage, and if you have a rare GF engine, its a high compression engine depending on the year. I had one and you could feel the difference in the horsepower vs. the stock engine

are the GF and FE motors the same? i am buying an FE engine which also has a little higher compression.

Hmmm lemme see if I have this right ... the JDM motor has a tube comming from the water pump that is external, in my cast it appears to have this external tube that feeds the base of the carburator at a "T" in the tube, that then continues to the heater core ... here are some pics of the engine + trans ... I took a close-up of the numbers stamped on the block it's hard to make out the "NO" at the begining but the rest are pretty clear :)

The GF had the regular 1600 engine. The FE had the higher compression engine to assist with higher MPG. The FE was rated at 50MPG /highway.

Both US and JDM engines came as a 'thincase', with external water transfer between halfs up thru 1979. The 1980 borought about the 'fatcase', with internal water transfer between case sides. The pipe for the heater core and the carb heat was a separate pipe on both engines. The water pump on the thin and fat cases were different.

There is NO profound diferences between the 1600 jdm and US engines, except the manifold and carbs. Your engine looks/could be either. My guess is that it's the original engine.

Todd

hmmmmm well if it's a EA-71, US or JD, wouldn't it have that stamp on the case? If it's just a stock EA-71 that's what I would expect, and I have no real use for one myself, but I was just curious since it's not stamped with "EA-71" like the ones I have seen in the JY ... anyhoo ... I will see if I can get it running and on the road for kicks, really got it expecting a project, but it was licensed and driven as recient as 2003, so who knows, one other question I have is ... was there ever a need or use of an external fuel preasure regulator? The last guy put one on and told me when he had it running that it would only do 20mph ... the carb has been gone through (not yet confirmed tho) and rebuilt, but I had tons of trouble with my own Hit-tossy carb, so I was just planning on one of the $65 rebuilt holly/webers .... any info would be much appricaiated thx!

It's hard to tell what it is from the pics. As stated previously, through '79 there was an external water crossover between the halves of the crankcase. It'd be located directly under and parallel with the intake if it's there. From '80 on, the crossover is cast into the crankcase and is seen as a 'bulge' in the same area directly beneath the intake. Whether it's from US or Japan is irrelevent with regard to this.

Some later Japanese engines have hydraulic lifters too. You can tell by looking for stickers on the valve covers that say "don't adjust valves" (of course stickers can be removed). I've got two low-mileage Japanese engines. One in my '79 truck and one as a spare. Both have hydraulic lifers but one has black valve covers and one has blue like yours. If you get it running, you may be surprised to find they keep up with traffic just fine. No race car but fast enough (for me anyway) and excellent mileage.

Have fun with it!

That is an early 77-79 EA71. That is the external water crossover and early style water pump. Honestly, there is no difference between an early JDM and the early domestic version. I have used many JDM motors and the only differences were the externals, manifold ect. Your engine also has the air suction spider and silencer. That I believe was only on US versions of the engine.

I still lean towards it being the stock engine.

Todd

That is an early 77-79 EA71. That is the external water crossover and early style water pump. Honestly, there is no difference between an early JDM and the early domestic version. I have used many JDM motors and the only differences were the externals, manifold ect. Your engine also has the air suction spider and silencer. That I believe was only on US versions of the engine.

I still lean towards it being the stock engine.

Todd

I'm going to have to agree with this one. Since it has the air suction on it and silencer, it appears to be the original engine for the car. The original engine in my '78 Brat looked identical.

don't jump too quick for an ea81, the gen 1 brat('80-'81) that came with the ea81 and d/r 4spd has a unique belly pan/steering rack and a unique shifter linkage setup, you can fudge your belly pan enough to fit the ea81, but your going to be retaining the single range 4wd trans, so you will have to pull the bellhousing off the 1600 and slap it onto the 1800, none of this is too hard, but I personally like the 1600 block, it floats valves before redline, so its really reallly hard to destroy one of these motors, they love to wrap out and show you all their mighty 70 horses...

use what youve got till it breaks, there are plenty of 1800's at the j/y, and I've got an extra(free to me) 1600 at my shop...

p.s. I could use that pin punch sometime...

-n