Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT Steering rack compatible/better than EA82 Wagon rack??

I was at the j/y pulling an oil pan off of an XT today, (i bent engine X-member and guessed where the rear nuts were..) and I noticed that the XT steering rack is a bit bulkier than the rack on my Loyale, which I think needs replacing...

1. Is the XT steering rack:

A. compatible with my 4wd Loyale wagon

B. any more sturdy/strong/superior?

and also the bonus question for today folks:

2. Is it worth it to swap in the obviously thicker XT front sway bar, especially since I have heavier wheels...?

If you feel like giving it a shot, it's incredibly easy to get off of a donor, especially if both front wheels are off...four 12mm bolts with a ratchet, a little jiggling, and you got one. and it appears to bolt right on to the EA82 sedan/wagon family, and you can add a rear sway bar to your wagon by removing the rear sway off of the xt plus the control arms...

I'm more curious about the steering rack, as I damaged mine after jumping my wagon for the last time, and need a replacement..

I'm pretty sure the front xt sway bar will bolt on, and improve handling. prolly do the rear sway bar while im at it. :D

sway bars yes.. many have "upgraded but the size of the bars are different from one model og wagon/sedan to the XT from what I heard.

the PS setup ....very interesting i gotta say...

if you can and have time I'd set them next to one anouther and see where the steering shaft aligns first in relation to everything else.

Interesting....

I snagged the sway bars from an XT6 a while back but I left the rear arms there (I have turbo sedan rear arms to go with the bar).

Are the splines the same on the XT6 rear? Maybe I better go back and grab them since they have the swaybar brackets.

this was an EA82 N/A XT I was looking at, So I'm SURE they have the same rear splines. XT6...hmmm not sure. I'm pretty sure the front XT6 swaybar is even thicker than the XT, and can be swapped. Not sure about thickness or compatibility with the rear sways on an XT6...you could always weld on the swaybar tabs to your control arms if you really wanted to make it work, and not spend a lot at the boneyard...

not to be mean but: WHO THE HELL KNOWS ABOUT THE STERRING RACK!?!?!?!? AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!