Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

diesel westy syncro

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:13 PM

did vw ever build one of these? was it ever available in the US? just wondering.

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:17 PM

I don't believe so. They were however sold in Germany and other parts of Europe I think. They had a Turbo diesel available as well I think.

#3 Hodaka Rider

Hodaka Rider

Original BC Soobnut

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  • Nelson, BC (Canada)

Posted 06 February 2006 - 12:12 AM

There's no 'h' in syncro. Sorry, just a pet peeve.

#4 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:10 AM

There's no 'h' in syncro. Sorry, just a pet peeve.

good point.

#5 shortlid

shortlid

Subaru Nutcase

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • Derry, New Hamphire

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:27 AM

You can check with the guys at www.vanagon.com but I think Canada got desiels and some on the left coast had some desiels.

#6 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:41 AM

lol want to talk about a holy grail? Try finding a Syncro Doublecab. For those who don't know what they are, the Doublecab is basically a Vanagon, with four doors instead of two + sliding door, with a bed. Not all that uncommon, but of the syncro version they only imported eight I think to north america, and of those one was destroyed during transit.

Def. would not mind a doublecab, those sure do turn more heads than a Vanagon, but I also wouldnt' mind finding another vanagon when I get home :-P

#7 Jack in Norfolk

Jack in Norfolk

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • Marblehead, MA

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

lol want to talk about a holy grail? Try finding a Syncro Doublecab. For those who don't know what they are, the Doublecab is basically a Vanagon, with four doors instead of two + sliding door, with a bed. Not all that uncommon, but of the syncro version they only imported eight I think to north america, and of those one was destroyed during transit.

Def. would not mind a doublecab, those sure do turn more heads than a Vanagon, but I also wouldnt' mind finding another vanagon when I get home :-P

For some reason it seems like I saw one of these on ebay recently. You obviously know more about them than I do and I may be mistaken, but I know it was a double cab and I could have sworn it was a syncro.
I actually remember reading the article in Car and Driver when they were new. The author called is a "swiss army knife on wheels."

#8 elwood91

elwood91

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • OR

Posted 19 February 2006 - 09:18 AM

Try finding a Syncro Doublecab

Quite a few of these in Pacific NW now, most have been imported through Canada. Yahoo even has a "syncro double cab" group. I've seen a few of the 16" around Portland and at the NW Mogfest.
Classifieds on The Samba has some rare vanagons for sale, usually in Europe but some have been imported already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users