Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just purchased a 93 Legacy 4WD wagon. The previous owner has replaced the original EJ22 long block with a SOHC EJ25 long block. He apears to have installed all the other pieces from the EJ22 but it won't run. It acts like it's out of cam timing. Does anyone know the differences between the two engines, if there is a different set up to the timing belt? He used the belt sprockets from theEJ22 on the EJ25.

Hmm. The sprockets and belt shouldn't matter, all EJ's have the same timing curves as far as I know.

The tensioners are different though. The EJ22 that was originally in the car had a cylindrical tensioner, mounted horizontally, pushing on a separate tensioner pulley. The EJ25 has a smaller cylindrical tensioner, mounted vertically, that is built into to the tensioner pulley assembly.

If you think timing's off (which concerns me because EJ25's are interference engines :eek: ), check to be sure the timing marks are lined up like they're supposed to be. Grab a Haynes manual for help on that.