Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I installing a complete driveshaft, any tips, help?

I gave up trying to find a driveshaft bushing and decided to get a complete driveshaft assembly from powertrain industries in c.a. It was half what the dealership wanted to charge. So my question is how hard is it to do myself?

i have ramps, basic tools and the chiltons book, and have done things like brake jobs and replacing the transmission mount. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since i will be doing this in 1-2 weeks. Thanks in advance!!!

easy. spray penetrating oil (liquid wrench or pb blaster, not WD40) on the 12 mm bolts holding the axle to the rear diff and the two 17 mm bolts holding the center support to the bottom of the car. i'd spray a couple times the couple days before doing the job to get them loose.

this is an easy job, only 6 bolts in total to replace the entire driveshaft. unbolt those 6 bolts and it comes out. the 4 12mm bolts on the driveshaft are not all accessible at the same time. you'll have to remove/loosen 2 or 3 of them, then rotate the driveshaft to get the other ones out. i usually jack the rear of the car up so i can spin a tire (which turns the driveshaft). or move the car just a few inches/feet so the other bolts spin into view. maybe you can try loosening some before you crawl up the ramp? or go half way up the ramp, loosen two then pull all the way up to loosen the others? of course being careful to jack stand the car and block the tires for safety.

once the 6 bolts are off might have to tap where it mates to the rear diff with a hammer if it's stuck or doesn't want to come off. after 20 years and miles and rust sometimes they want to stick. have to wedge it around the exhaust, but i've gotten mine out without removing any exhaust parts on the XT6. be advised, trans fluid comes out easily when you pull the axle out of the trans. have a catch can ready, watch your eye balls and be sure to refill/check the level after you're done.

not sure if you're just replacing one half or the entire thing, if it's just the front half with the carrier bearing then you remove the 4 bolts that bolt the rear half of the drive shaft to the front half. then remove the front half. either way 6 bolts in all to get it off.

the only hard part about this job is that it's annoying working from under the car on your back, otherwise it's easy. wearing goggles is sometimes nice to keep crud from falling in your eyes/nose.

the shaft into the tranny is sealed by the rear extension housing seal. be very careful pulling the old axle out and installing a new axle. it's easy to damage the seal if you're slopping the old axle around. be sure to check that seal after installing the new axle to make sure it wasn't damaged. replacing it with a new one isn't a bad idea if you're comfortable doing that sort of thing. but i've done plenty without replacing it as well.