Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20t - VSS needed?

Subarian

One of the swaps I'm considering is a 93 EJ20 turbo from an impreza. Does anybody know if this ECM requires a vehicle speed sensor?

Anybody?

You might consider something newer then a 93 unless it came from a JDM Legacy. The EJ20G (the correct engine number) in a 93 WRX was the first year, although it looks that same from the outside, internally it is different from the EJ20G that came in the JDM Legacy that year. There were some problems with that engine, and it isn't as reliable as later ones.

It's a JDM. So, if I understand correctly, the ECM does need a VSS, but 87 and later EA82s have a VSS that will work?
I'm sure Dave will back this up, but yes, that is true, but what I'm not certain about is whether or not it needs to be a digital dash or not, I don't think the analog dash has a speed sensor in it.

It's a JDM. So, if I understand correctly, the ECM does need a VSS, but 87 and later EA82s have a VSS that will work?

correct. with out it. the ECM goes into limp mode and sets a VSS code 33. and will not go into boost with out cutting fuel.

and yes the 87 and later ea82 VSS will work.

-=Suberdave=-

where is the VSS on an EA82 car anyways? Not to hijack a thread but I need to know so I can hook up my turbo timer.
they are in the speedo in the instrument cluster - it's a little reed switch that runs off the magnets on the speedo drive - ALL GL DASHES 85+ HAVE A VSS!!! they are for the cruise control dealer-installed option - I think DL's even had them, but I am not sure you may need to take the back circuit board off the I/P to find the pinout, but you should find the reed switch there without a problem - I had to hook the VSS up when I converted mine to SPFI, and I have my original 1985 I/P - it will also give nasty codes if you don't get the VSS pinout right, so check the wires