Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Load Capacity of Brat tailgate

Guest taprackready

I've loaded a full size troybuilt rototiller by driving up ramps onto the tailgate of my brat. It didn't phase it. I realize a 4wheeler may be heavier but it should be fine. Your not actually placing the full load on it at the same time. Front first, then rear so really divide you load in half and thats about how much at one time will be placed directly on the tailgate.

Bill

Yeah, I have had all sorts of ATV's in mine with no problems weight wise. As for the chrome, I never used ramps, Just threw the front end on then lifted the back end. It's extremely hard to do this by yourself though because of the wheelwells so get someone to help you.

Yeah, I already figured out it wouldn't fit between the wheel wells - damn wannabe truck!;) Did you set the ATV in the bed offset from center, rolling just one side over the wheel well? I was thinking I might build a little ramped platform that sat into place over the rear seat brackets (once the seats are removed).

Well. for a quad, the tires would be in front of the wheelwells, You just have to get them over. Watch the bumper with the window. It's good to stick something in between. I will tell you, It is a very tight fit. You won't be able to throw the tailgate up. 3 wheelers and regular motorcycles are easy. Go carts are same as a quad with the wheels.

BTW, This is my 1800th post. I guess I won't really be cool until I hit 2000. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know it'll be a tight fit, since it's a full size quad - no question the gate will need to stay open. My thinking behind building a platform forward of the wheel wells over the jump seat brackets (equal in height to wheel wells), is so the quad wouldn't go slamming into the window as it rolled off the wells.

Don't sound like a bad idea. Heck just make it a steady incline from there that way you could close the gate because the quad would be somewhat vertical. Just incorporate tie downs into whatever you build and if you can, make little spots for the wheels to sit in. Go for it! Boz

Originally posted by bbbs53

How about a little low trailer, and put the beer cooler in front of the seats where it belongs. Or buy a Ford.

Yea, a tow trailer is a possibility. Funny you should mention buying a Ford - how 'bout I create a "XR4Brati" instead? Take a look at the attached picture. :)

post-185-136027585577_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by PHATBRAT

Those cars are junk, however, the picture looks cool. Make one and put an EJ20T in there and that would definately be cool.

Hah, says who? I already own two, one of which generates 320 RWHP. The idea is to retain all of the Merkur suspension and drive-train, and turn it into a monster mini truck that handles! The downside is no 4WD, unless I import one from a Euro Cossie version.