Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 into EA82T sedan

colin edge

Alright. Since my GL won't sell as is because of a dead trans, and even still the motor MIGHT need TLC, I'm thinking of just finding an EJ22 and doing the swap.

My question, if I get a complete engine, wiring, ecu, trans, driveshaft, axles, etc. will it bolt up to the GL platform? I understand that an adpater plate is needed to use a GL trans but my trans is dead so theres no point to reuse it.

cliffnotes: Complete EJ22 swap (everything) into a For Sale 86 GL-10, possible?

What's so crazy about the wiring? I tried searching and couldn't find anything worth anything except, can I swap this? So doesn't help.

If you know where I can get a good condition COMPLETE engine/trans EA82T i'll buy it as long as it's a reasonable price. I'm fixing this car to sell it.

if you head over to ausubaru.com there are lots of people who have done this conversion

im most of the way through an ej22 into MY at the moment and the hardest thing has been the wiring

just takes a lot of effort to get your head around what needs to go and what needs to stay then to splice the new engine loom into the old body loom

anyways

heres a general guide to whats involved

http://ausubaru.com/main/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1013

well since you made up your mind already it wont matter what i say...but ill say it anyway. the wiring isnt hard so much as its time consuming and eye-tiring. if you go wire by wire, and double check yourself as you go, you should be fine. for all of those that wish to do this swap. start with a EJ18 harness and use the EJ22 or EJ25 or whatever. this will get you better high-rpm timing and fuel maps from the ECU.

~Josh~