Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 OBW w/slight "hesitation" at 30-45mph

I have a 2000 OBW with 91000 miles. I just had the head gaskets replaced plus some other things it needed (belts, etc) at this mileage. This was about 2000 miles ago. I am now getting a slight "miss" or fuel problem or transmission slip when the car is running between 30 and 45 mph. It only happens when the car has shifted to 3rd and I have to accelarate just slightly I feel a "miss" or something. After I press the gas and it shifts to another gear I don't feel this. The car operates fine when pulling out or at "highway speeds"(50+).

Could this be the transmission or is it a fuel filter or something?

Thanks for the help.

No...as far as I know this hasn't been done. Would this cause this problem? What kind of plugs and wires should I get? Thanks

NGK, OEM, ONLY! I agree, that's almost certainly the problem. Easy do-it-yourself, search for the procedure. Make room for a BIG pile of parts.

I'm running stock and so are most of the folks here. There is one other common item that should be changed at some point and that is the front oxegen sensor.

Sometimes they fail earlier but reccomendations are at 100,000 miles. This can cause hesitation, bucking, and poor gas mileage. I just ran mine to 120,000 but for the past year I was starting to get some symptoms incuding code PO420 which has not returned since changing it.

When you are looking for a problem I was taught to do the basic tune up stuff first and most of the time that fixes it. Sometimes it does not, but at least you caught up on your maintence.

• 1 year later...

My fix turned out to be the front 02 sensor. Here is my review from a diff thread: I have a 2001 Forester L with 85k miles on it. I have been chasing an intermittent hesitation under load problem for the past year. Only occurred when engine was warm. The front 02 sensor had been replaced once at 40k miles. I suspected it again this time, but since the only codes thrown had been cyl's 2&4 misfire ( p0302 & p0304) I assumed it must be ignition related. So I replaced plugs and wires 8 months ago...no effect. Did the dollar bill test over exhaust pipe, it was fine. Misted the coil, no sparks. I mentally sort of ruled out the fuel filter since it only happened when the engine was warm. Finally, a week ago while cruising on hwy at 65 mph, I felt the hesitation again (I wasn't even accelerating this time) and a new code was thrown....p0172. AutoZone read it for me, I described the symptoms to the guy and asked if he thought it might be the front 02 sensor. He said, "absolutely." So I decided to replace it next. Cost me $100.75 incl tax for the oem part# 22791aa00a from Cityside Subaru. I asked the Parts guy there if his experience was that this model engine needed a new front 02 sensor every 40k miles. He said, "no, these sensors are good for 100k miles." Well, bullsnot on that. I replaced the new front 02 sensor in 1 hour reaching from the top over the passenger side of the engine using an adjustable wrench. Be sure to use the thread lube so you can get it out easily next time.....after another 40k miles. I took out the air channel assembly first for better access. That seems to be the fix. No further hesitation since. Car runs like new.