Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A couple of Questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robertwheeler

robertwheeler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:03 PM

Hi

Just a couple of quick ones here.

Why does it seem that most Subaru's covered in the the years that this forum covers.... look like that have had their hood's sprayed with AV Gas?

Uncertain whether its a stabilizer or a sway bar.. in the front. I know I need new links... 2 bolts and nuts per side and some really cheap little bracket affairs. If this is the stock part , its real bad.... does anyone know a good place to get these that goes beyond the original Spec's?

Thanks
Robert

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:42 PM

Why does it seem that most Subaru's covered in the the years that this forum covers.... look like that have had their hood's sprayed with AV Gas?

i think that's applicable to most 20 year old cars where i live.

Uncertain whether its a stabilizer or a sway bar.. in the front. I know I need new links... 2 bolts and nuts per side and some really cheap little bracket affairs. If this is the stock part , its real bad.... does anyone know a good place to get these that goes beyond the original Spec's?

not sure what you're talking about, brackets that hold the swap bar bushings in place? can you post a picture of them? if you're looking for different brackets, i doubt you'll find anything. the stock ones should be fine, just get non-rusted used ones and they'll be fine if it's the brackets holding the bushings in place. or maybe you're talking about something else???

#3 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:05 PM

Cheap car with not-so-great paint. Old Subies aren't really cars many people are willing to spend a whole lot of money claying, waxing, and polishing to keep them looking nice.

#4 robertwheeler

robertwheeler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 11:24 PM

Sorry I guess I could have been clearer.

The bar seems to be secured to the chassis ok. The parts I'm referring to are at the end of the bar and connect then to the lower... if it was an American Car Id call it an A-frame... I suppose its more of the lower hub or strut assembly.

It actually looks like two small I shaped brackets that go on either side of the end of the sway bar... with a piece of rubber in the center and then the same thing where it connect to the wheel hub assembly .

I guess its really the rubber that needs changing... its not a great design as the rubber just seems to pass though and isn't well supported.

Il look for a pic.. or maybe i can draw it an scan it.

Thanks

Robert

#5 robertwheeler

robertwheeler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:17 PM

I did get the picture.... if you look at the end of the stabilizer bar you will see the parts I need. Its at the top part of the brackestish thing and is pass's through the end of the Stab bar.

Posted Image

#6 robertwheeler

robertwheeler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

I took the driver side bushing out.... someone must have messed with it as the only thing around the bolt was badly worn rubber.... i expected to find a metal sleeve of sorts in here.... well I put it back the same way I found it.. cept I used better rubber... not a fix.. but it will help until i can fix it.

#7 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 677 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

i expected to find a metal sleeve of sorts in here....

Yes, there should be a sleeve between the bolt and the rubber.

#8 robertwheeler

robertwheeler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 01:09 AM

It turned out better then I expected it to. Before when I hit a bump the car would try to go in all directions at once.... now it takes bumps and stays more or less straight.

Interesting what you can do with some hose scraps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users