Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check Engine Code Connectors

I just picked up a '92 Loyale wagon.

I'm sure it has to be out on the forum somewhere, but I'm having touble finding the specific details... probably my own doing :banghead:

Anyway, I have a 2wd, 5spd, 1992 Loyale and I want to find out why my check engine light is on. Where can I find the "test" wires/connectors? I've seen where some people said they are in the engine bay and others state that they are behind the steering column. What do they look like? What color are they? Green? White? Black? Any specifics to help me find these things would be greatly appreciated :)

Any help is welcomed... thanks again!

You were both right. The connectors are green and white and they are located right by the fuel filter, behind the drivers side strut tower. This saved me a lot of time tonight that I might have spent wondering if I had the right wires. Thank you.

When I turned the key to the on position, with both connectors disconnected, the check engine light just stays on solid.

Here is what I'm seeing:

Wires Connected: None

Key in "ON" Posistion: Solid Check Engine Light

When I Start the Engine: Solid Check Engine Light

Wires Connected: Green Only

When I Start the Engine: Light goes out

Wires Connected: White Only

When I Start the Engine: Solid Check Engine Light

Wires Connected: Both

When I Start the Engine: Light goes out

I was expecting the light to flash with at least one of these combinations, but I'm not seeing that.

In all cases where the check engine light turns off, when I start the car, it comes right back on again after the engine runs for awhile.

Any ideas? Could I be doing something wrong or is it possible something is wrong with the ECU :confused:

Thank you again for your time and help!

When I turned the key to the on position, with both connectors disconnected, the check engine light just stays on solid. I get the same results with only the green connected or only the white connected. I was expecting the light to flash with at least one of these combinations, but I'm not seeing that.

When I connect both of them together the check engine light turns off when I start the car. It comes back on again after the engine runs for awhile.

Any ideas? Could I be doing something wrong or is it possible something is wrong with the ECU?

Thank you again for your time and help!

I'm no expert, but I've got a '93 Loyale wagon, and my light's on as well. But when you do the test, the CEL (check engine light) isn't the one that will flash. The light that will flash to give you the code is actually the LED on the top of a computer box thingy underneath the steering column. It's a real pain in the neck (and lower back) to get at:

Remove the knee panel beneath the steering wheel that keeps all the wires up underneath the dash. Lay on your back or your side, and look for a tan (on my car) colored metal box about the size of dvd case, only thicker. This unit is directly engine-ward from the spot where the steering column meets the dash, and you can only see it when your head is in the footwell. There is a 'slot' or 'opening' in the side closest to the underside of the steering wheel, and the LED is inside there. So, once the test leads are connected, and the key is in the ignition in the proper position (run?) you will see the LED blink a pattern.

Mine came back as "EGR Solenoid Valve".... but I still haven't gotten around to actually finding the EGR valve :)

I'm not sure why anyone has to remove anything to read the LED.

There should be a small space under the steering column where it is

perfectly visible. Although I don't have a Loyale, maybe they're a little

different. In the two GL's I've owned there is a strip of foam in the

space where the steering column and kick plate meet. Push down on

the foam and you'll see the light blinking right behind it.

Well it looks like I've got a "34" (EGR Solenoid or Circuit) and a "35" (Purge Control Solenoid or Circuit).

I ended up having to remove the knee panel beneath the steering wheel to see the LED, but it lines up in such a way were I can see why that might not be required on some models.

I never would have figured this out with out every one's help. This is a great site:banana:

Thanks Again!