Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Limited slip Diff

Want to know if I have a lsd or open diff in my 89 xt-6 I see that when I turn one wheel the other stays put.

Assuming I have a open diff what is the best way to upgrade it. Should I swap it out for an LSD and if so off what car could I find a bolt on replacement and Where would I find one.

When you spin one rear wheel in the air the other one stays put? It shouldn't, it should either move in the same direction (LSD) or in opposite direction (Open). Otherwise, look on the rear diff for the sticker. It should say if its an LSD or not. It depends on what you are doing with the car as well, as far as upgrades go. If you use it for offroading, then weld it up, if not swap in the LSD. I believe the xt6's were 3.9 right? If so you'll have to swap in the LSD parts from an lsd diff into the open diff case thats in your xt6. Its not hard to do the swap, look into the USRM for the info on that.

cool the easiest car to find is the rx but it has a 3.7 so you will have to convert it if you look harder the legacy turbo's usually have lsd and they are 3.9's and it should be a direct bolt in

also serously please pm me with what supercharger you are using

also serously please pm me with what supercharger you are using
it's all completely custom, so if you're looking for something that "fits", he can't help you.

okay you didnt' state you had a manual transmission on XT6.net (or here, but since you have a flywheel i'll assume it's a 5 speed!) you have the highest gear ratio transmission you can get out of an 80's subaru. you'd need to upgrade to a newer transmission. front differential is attached to the transmission so unless you disconnect the front axles and drive in RWD, you'll have to upgrade both the front diff and the rear diff. 90's subaru's have 4.11 and 4.44 gear ratios final drives available which might be more what you're looking for.

two choices:

upgrade transmission entirely. swap in a newer transmission with the higher gear ratio you want. swap rear diff to match (this is the easy part).

next option is to try and swap the front diff from a newer 90's subaru in place of your existing front diff. that is no easy task and if the trans ever goes bad you're faced with replacing a custom transmission.

easier to swap in another, newer, readily available subaru transmission in my oppinion. easy to do since it's a manual.

it's all completely custom, so if you're looking for something that "fits", he can't help you.

sry about that i know i'd at least have to fab a bracket intake hoses some exhaust work injectors fuel mapos etc i'm just curiouse but i just want to know where i can get a supercharger with a inlet hose and an outlet hose and

the legacy awd transmission with an lsd gives a feel to that effect i've heard

sry about the hijack

no problem jeff, i figured you probably didn't realize his setup is completely custom since you're new-ish to the board. supercharger outlets are really annoying, i haven't seen any that look easy to work with but i haven't looked much either. turbo's are cake, nice round orifices to work with!