Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Sube Owner

First would like to say hi to everyone, and to say that I am new to this and bought my first subaru, so i have a lot to learn. Have heard they are very reliable and i needed a cheap good car, imagine that. Its a 1990 Loyale 4wd, 3 speed auto. Now I was wondering is there anything out there to help out the 1.8 performance wise? I know i wasnt getting into a supercar, but would like to do something to help it along its way a little better. See lots of people doing enine swaps, and dont think i am quite ready for that. Also i see alot reading people describing drivetrain like "ea82" or "ej22", "ea81t" what do these

signify or mean? If its possible to explain easily I would appreciate it along with any other info that could help me, and I am excited for the future of my new subaru. Thanks.

Hello Hotdog! I'm north of you in Eugene. As for that auto you have...make sure the fluid is good and well maintaned. These autos are the weakest part of Subaru, but keep it maintaned and you'll be golden.

What some people end up doing with an auto is swapping it out with a manual tranny. It's fairly easy, direct bolt on, and even I can do it.

you just need to know what to get. Which, I've done two...so I have a fairly good idea.

Oh yeah, I know of 4 or so board members that live in medford or the surronding areas.

welcome to the insanity!! :D

personally, would recommend getting rid of the automatic (they are not known for being a great tranny, altho many have had good luck with them with proper maintenance) and swapping in the 5 spd manual - 2 reasons - 1. fewer problems 2. better fuel mileage.

Lots of great info here on how to do it, too, just need to do your homework.

The EA82 is a very reliable, long living motor with the proper care and maintenance - mine currently has 224K and still going strong, & i know there are others with even higher mileages.

Lots of great info on what to do/how to take care of your your new toy.

#1 thing to check right off - Timing belts! if you cant verify when they were done last - DO THEM ASAP! Will save you form a headache down the road.

there are lots of other things recommended to check over as well with a "new" Subie - like fluids, and brakes and basic tuneup stuff. Do your homework and you will enjoy your new Subie for many years to come.

thanks guys for the info, car ran horribly when i got it, so i have already done the basic tune up

of plugs, wires, rotor, cap, replaced all vacuum, coolant and fuel lines for being dry rotted and cracked, had to replace egr solenoid because of the line nipples were broken, car runs much better, tranny fluid is a good red color and shifting fine right now but i have been looking into the 5 speed swap just because i dont like turning 4250 rpms driving 65-70 on the interstate. and since i dont know when the timing belts where changed, if at all ,i will be doing those soon.

so is it really worth changing the engine to the newer versions as many are doing or just wait if and when mine gives up? it only had 130,000 miles on it right now, or is there items out there to help the 1.8?:)

so is it really worth changing the engine to the newer versions as many are doing or just wait if and when mine gives up? it only had 130,000 miles on it right now, or is there items out there to help the 1.8?:)
oh goodie :banana: a new user!!! hey welcome to the subaru addiction hotdog!!! heck yeah it is. but i have news for you. your suby is still a baby!!! just wait till it gets over 200k and then thats when the fun begins. (it becomes an adult at that point :brow: ). then that engine with proper care will take you to 300k or maybe much more than that. about the items will be honest i can't help you on that part but all i can say is: have fun in your "new" subaru. and don't be a stranger around here and forget about us!!!

Take care

Buddy :)