Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo boost solenoid

I have an 87 Subaru XT GL-10 Turbo that I just got running again. Its showing a code 44 (Turbo Duty Solenoid). I had the vac hoses off when I changed the turbo and wonder if I had them on the right way. I know this is a bad picture but if you know the selonoid then this should make sense.

To Compressor

Housing To Wastgate Actuator

| |

| ________________ |

| | |_|__

| _____| | |__________________

_____| |___| |

|_______________| To metal vacuum lines

not directly to intake mani

There is a vac line directly from the back of the intake manifold that I thought should be hooked up to this solenoid but it is hooked to another pressure sensor located above this solenoid and has some wires running to this solenoid.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

I've got a picture of the Turbo Solenoid showing the connections, but it won't let me do attachments for some reason. I can email it to you if you want.The vacuum switch above it, is the switch to turn on the boost light on the dash board i think, if it's not that, then it's the over boost protection..this is something i've been trying to work out for a little while now.

Here is an excellent pic by Skip. I couldn't find the post it was in.

wastegatesetup1.jpg

When positioned in the vehicle the orientation of the WGDS will not match. Top in pic will be bottom in car, left side in pic will be closest to fender. That input line will also have an "extension" vacuum line.

• Like 1

That picture is perfect. It looks like all my lines are hooked up correctly. The line that is labled "to breather lines" is what I was calling the metal lines, this does connect to a little metal line that snakes under the intake, right.

Anyone have any experience with a Code 44 and what the solution was. My problem is combined with a Code 22(knock sensor). The car will hesitate and shut down for a second then do it again but only under boost conditions. Runs great otherwise.

Thanks for the help and this is a great site. I never thought there would be this kind of support for these cars.

Thanks,

Dan