Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hitachi on '78 Brat ... external fuel presure regulator?

I just got this '78 brat about 4-5 days ago, and it has a freashly rebuilt hitachi, and he added an external fuel preasure regulator ... I don't see anything in my haynes or chilton manual about a regulator, and I was also curious if this is annother "Hit-tossy" carb like I had stock in my '85 brat ... I will just look for a weber if that is the case, and I am assuming that this is a EA-71 since it appears to be the size of one, but I have been told it has a JDM 1600 with 60k miles on it (no way for me to confirm this as yet) Anyhow, any advice apriciated :burnout:

Yup, should be an EA71 with Hitachi carb.

With regard to the carb, I don't think they're bad per say. The real weakness is their reliance on vacuum for the solenoids. The stock vacuum hose setup is a rat's nest and vulnerable to leaks from every angle. Provided there aren't any vacuum leaks, the carbs perform relatively well though.

I put a Webber 32/36 DGEV on my '79 and eliminated all the vacuum lines. Pretty staight forward conversion. The only thing really worth mentioning is the coolant port that sits right under the carb base on the stock manifold. You'll have to block this off somehow. In my case, I threaded it with a 3/8" NPT tap and screwed in a corresponding 1" long grub screw coated in permatex. I also had to fiddle with the jetting of the Webber to get it dialed in right and advance the timing about 2* from stock. Runs like a champ now. Oops, I mean runs like a BRAT now!!!

Good luck.