Ultimate Subaru Message Board

impreza now has a steel bumper :)

Ratty2Austin

All Impreza's have had driver and passanger side airbags.

Heck, if it wasnt as big of a deal to remove airbags I would have done it a long time ago from my L... But its just not worth it with the potential legal risks.

not true... all imprezas AFTER 95 had 2 airbags.. 93 and 94 had only a steering wheel bag..

*and*

I only removed mine, because I did not want to pay for the repairs needed to make it work again, cause when I drove thru the mud @ gilbert, something with the SRS system got screwey and the airbag light came on... so it wouldnt have worked anyways!

I would guess that the new bumper weighs about 40 to 60 lbs, (it felt the same as the stock bumper when I removed it)

and I used a AC stick welder! with some 6011 lincon rod, at about 100amps

I have not had a chance to try welding with a wire feed yet, but im getting good with a stick arc!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont understand. first off nice bumper. GAY push bar.... i mean it looks ok for raming stupid people on the freeway but for offroading i think you will hate it.. im shure this isnt the final vershion but if it were me i would cut and modify you push bar to weld to the bumper and maybe go through it. it looks like your aproch angle sucks now...... anyway props for building it and i hope to see it finished and in action.... ps make shure to stop in bozeman on your next trip through......

welll, not much to it just a bunch of 2x4ish tube...(still needs some more parts but its on the car now.... and I have pics ;)

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

i still need to mount the new mini-turn signals (they will go on the top of the bar, so they wont easily get squished...

and I need to find a better way to attach my license plate-instead of zip ties!

i dont understand. first off nice bumper. GAY push bar.... i mean it looks ok for raming stupid people on the freeway but for offroading i think you will hate it.. im shure this isnt the final vershion but if it were me i would cut and modify you push bar to weld to the bumper and maybe go through it. it looks like your aproch angle sucks now...... anyway props for building it and i hope to see it finished and in action.... ps make shure to stop in bozeman on your next trip through......
???....that's the stock brat A-bar, he's had that on there since almost day one...and it's strong (stronger than that strap we tried to use....lol) it doesn't hurt the aproach angle more than the oil pan would, and it protects said oil pan...

I would like to eventually get around to re-adjusting the A bar.. it has been on there for a while, and it is reallllly on there too- so far I actually have pushed a few cars with it, on the freeway! :lol:

but hopefully sometime soon, I can heat up the lower portion of the bar and bend it so its closer to the new bumper, or re-mount it so its closer tucked up to the body too... or..

sell it and just make a new skid plate in its place, now that I have a new bumper!

(anyone want a "impreza A bar"?)

Hey did you ever get the Dual range in your sub???

not yet...I still need to find out where I am going to get a few parts...

if I have all the parts I need, I would install it!

but I need to know what to do about the center driveshaft, where to get FWD EJ18 5spd impreza axles (they are the correct ones to use, right?) and I would like to know what would work the best for a tranny xmember....

as for the rest.. i would still need a flywheel+clutch+adaptor plate....

but ive got a lead on a tranny, and access to a shop (as long as my car is not there for more than a few hours (a work day) so i would have to have all the parts ready to go...then I will install it!

no offense, but I think that looks kinda nasty... would probably look a lot better without that pushbar and with a skidplate on there.... "round off" the corners of the bumper by cutting at a 45 degree angle and welding a plate on the front, and then the end.... and it'll be a bit nicer looking probably...

again, just trying to help.. consider this "constructive criticism"... as I don't see anyone else with a big beefy steel bumper on their imp! :headbang:

Hey Austin, what I like is that it's different and you're freakin fearless about doing weird stuff. Screamin yellow wheels, rattlecan custom paint, ABS roof rack, gray bumper... Dang dude, that's bold, whacked insanity. (offhanded compliment I think)

Anyways, on the bumper, what if you deleted the vintage pushbar and instead fab a new one out of that smaller tubing you used for the bumper. I'm thinking like come off of the crossmember, forward to the radiator support and then angle inboard up to those light/winch mount tubes you have sticking out front. And what if you angled off the ends of the bumper tubes with another tube coming up at an angle to of protect the corner lamps. And under it all a tough skid plate backed up by 1" tube for real oil pan protection. And lastly, install air fittings to use it as a reservoir for on-board-air.

The gray paint... I'll give it the thumbs up but I'd hit the radiator support and unibody with some flat black (or just cut it off and put the radiator elsewhere.)

You don't see anyone w/ a steel bumper on their imp... YET :grin::grin::grin:

i have the mounts sitting next to me right now... oh they're sexy... the rest of the tubing is downstairs, taking up most of our living room :headbang:

i think it looks better w/ the new paint, yes, and it's austin, it can pull off anything on that car, you all should know that :eek:

now.. just all you wait... till i get that tube bender... and it'll be ALL over!! muhaHAHAHHAHA :clap:

welll, not much to it just a bunch of 2x4ish tube...(still needs some more parts but its on the car now.... and I have pics ;)

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

i still need to mount the new mini-turn signals (they will go on the top of the bar, so they wont easily get squished...

and I need to find a better way to attach my license plate-instead of zip ties!

hey I just noticed that hump/bump along the drivers fender and the silver tape up along the window post, whats that all about? whats it conceale