Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey substers building 6" lift

slipspeedy

he means the engine/tranny are stock relative to the subframe. There is no way you could do 6" suspension lift on the stock axles, and still have any downtravel, or proper suspension geometry. The motor and tranny sit 6" down, so you have to make extensions to match the steering and shifters with the body level.

Bill (Bushbrat), worked off of hassey's design for my brat, and My dad and I did the shifter/4wd lever off of hassey's design, as well as thte adjustable strut towers with the 22 degree angles..

I need to take pictures and have my twin make up a web page.

It is not overly complicated to build the lift, takes a lot of dry fitting and tacking, cutting, measuring etc.

My lift has open 6 inch channel.. that way it has two bolts, one going into the top (body), and the other going into bottom (susp.). that way you will not have super long bolts breaking and flexing..

oh, all the bolts and nuts in my brat are courtesy of Henry Ford and the Norfolk F150 plant :)

Anyways.. Hassey is the originator, and if you have ideas that you think will improve it, then all the better, but as he said, you can go to far unneedlessly, as he has no flex, I have none, and I am going to do the coil over conversion this weekend.

anyways.. my input on this debate.

Mike

Originally posted by hassey

Thats the whole idea of this lift is that the engine and tranny do and will stay in the stock postion you will have to extend the linkage both shifter and the hi/lo, engine suport, steering linkage.

hassey

DOH!!! Sorry to put a bee in your bonnet with my question. I just made the mistake of assuming that by "stock position" you meant where Fuji put the motor and tranny but what you meant by "stock position" was "stock position relative to the components I have just moved." LOL.

As to whether I get it. I get it as often as I can :) Thats obvious. I am a parent after all :)

Brad

Winner in class of Pittsfield Winter Ice Trials

Ex SCCA ProRally crew chief(once)

Ex Mechanic of "I think I can Racing" 4 Time AMA Superbike Champions in Lightweight and Sportsman Classes

Ex US Marshals Corner Worker

Ex Off Road Tour Guide

Current pain in the pa-tootie,,, ROFL.:wave: :wave: :wave:

No bythesea by stock position i mean exactly THAT the engine and tranny never ever get moved either up or down it is excatly where fuji put it. and where it stays you have to extend the linkage for the shifter the hi/lo the streering the engine suport un hook the brake line in the front from there keepers

Thank you mlkldom (Mike) for your input and suport glad it worked out for you :D

subrubrat coppied mine to with no problems either

Hassey

Hassey,

Honestly this is the last thing. I was last refering to your answer of Adams post. He used "stock location" as a reference to the relation of the body and motor. Your response to Adam is what I quoted. The motor doesn't move. I hope you can see where I got that idea though. Have a great night. See you in the rocks and dirt :)

Since you mentioned coil over and also MikeW was asking me for a non fancy ones here's what I found. Monroe Sensa-Trac from Napa with a 1/2 shaft, gas charged coil over shock- full lenght is 26" entended, travel about 6-8" depending on location and angle you put it.

I hope this help on your project this weekend.

$52 a shock

Led

Sorry to confuse people. my lift drops the sub components (i.e. crossmember, torsion bar, ect) but leaves the motor and tranny up in the engine bay, so I didn't have to come up with new linkages with this set up (although I did have it the same as Hasseys at one point, those linkages are laying around if anyone wants them, 4spd D/r). I also moved the engine and tranny back about 2 inches to make a little more room for my radiator up front. Still don't have enough room for the fan between the engine and rad, so it's in front of the rad.

Adam, I would be interested in getting that linkage so I can compare it to mine, I am still not happy with the geometry I have on the two. I want to look at others solutions and see if I can do better. I will Email you about it.

And as for the body portion of my lift, it is basicly the Hassey lift with a few mods that I added. I had to notch and plate the front to clear the ER27 and I plated the inside of the blocks to stiffen them and provide mount points for my adjustable sway bars.

thanx for the info guys and don't worry hassey i am competent enough to understand the whole idea i've been working on hot rod 4x4's for about 10 years but anyway thanx to all for the info by the way if anybody knows i'm looking for a 12 valve cummins diesel to convert into my 4wheel drive van ( yes the one in the picture) i'm actually converting it to a class b rv.:wave: :headbang:

Well good thing I had been to the junkyard and grabbed some coil overs from a 90 loyale wagon.

on the way home from my buds sat. night, the back end just broke!!, I mean it slammed down into the body... the torsion bar apparently broke.. it also broke the driveshaft.. in the middle of the downtown tunnel in portsmouth!!!!.. sparks coming out the back and everything!!!

well, the tunnel people are cool.. the came in and got a tow truck, first they had to turn it around cause they could not tow from front.. then the had to tow me out backward up the tube..

they parked me in a safe place.. bill and I made some strong rump roast brackets.. the strongest I have ever seen for a coil over conversion..

we installed them, but two of the lifting blocks broke.. and the driveshaft broke.. we limped it to his house..

anyways... it was a little fun and excitement!!!

Mike

Oh, Hassey... I can now attest, I broke a support,, we are gonna redo a couple of the back ones, and firm up a little.. we will take pics.

Originally posted by bushbasher

will I be the only 6" ea82 wagon?

no, i had a 6 inch on trashwagon5. it was homemade. i took it out because it wasnt straight, i used too thin of metal.

so if you built a 6 inch, and have it now, then you WOULD be the ONLY one with a ea81 6inch, but not the FIRST:D

ant way you go, the only thing that cost me on my lift was saw blades and welding wire. and rent on the building.

but instead of using thru bolts, i used stock suspension bolts to hold one side up to the body, and leftover bolts from other soobs and lug nutz to hold the suspension to the lift