Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1" square tubing?

LUVMYBRAT

so is 1" square tubing sufficient enough to make the bracket for changing standard ea81 rear shocks to ea82 coil overs? I know that the piece needs to be longer in width to adjust for different bolt pattern but was curious if 1" is far enough away from inner wheel well to account for coil over shocks larger diameter?, this is a small deal but the last puzzle piece in my own fabricated 3" lift for my ea81 vehicle. I say that because I haven't decided which one to put it on yet. Some how in the last 3 months my stable has grown from 2 - 6 ea81 cars. 3 sets of twins :rolleyes: 2 brats 2 t-coupes and more recently 2 wagons.

so is 1" square tubing sufficient enough to make the bracket for changing standard ea81 rear shocks to ea82 coil overs? I know that the piece needs to be longer in width to adjust for different bolt pattern but was curious if 1" is far enough away from inner wheel well to account for coil over shocks larger diameter?, this is a small deal but the last puzzle piece in my own fabricated 3" lift for my ea81 vehicle. I say that because I haven't decided which one to put it on yet. Some how in the last 3 months my stable has grown from 2 - 6 ea81 cars. 3 sets of twins :rolleyes: 2 brats 2 t-coupes and more recently 2 wagons.
I don't know but you should lift the coupe!

I'm leaning towards one of the wagons, my one brat I'm thinkin of keepin close to stock as possible( its the one Caboobaroo is borrowing and he calls it the "Cherry brat" ) the other brat is a turbo and rusty I dont think it will have enogh power to pull bigger tires or be sound enough to support a lift. Then the two coupes are both turbos as well but the silver one is almost perfect, plus they're both autos, so is the turbo brat. It seems to me like there are alot of wagons lifted out there and with good reason, they haul more people and things combined than any other car plus they just look good lifted. Guess I decided what to lift didn't I :D . But what about my ??? is 1" enough?

Bill, lifted wagons are the best! To help answer your question about the tubing, it depends on how the bracket is going to be made. I know in BYB lifts, that bracket is made from flat stock and welded in an upside down "U" and has two holes in the base of the "U" that bolt into the stock location on the body and it has two more holes at the top tips of the "U" for the new shock to bolt into. It also has a curve to the bracket that matches the curve on the body inside the fender well area. Lets get together next week on Wednseday and we can discuss it more if you'd like.

well remember that I want to use the EA82 coilover so I shouldn't need any length to the bracket as the coilovers are longer than stock EA81 shocks I just remember some one saying they had to use washers as spacers to push the shock out at the top because of the larger diameter of the coil over.

well remember that I want to use the EA82 coilover so I shouldn't need any length to the bracket as the coilovers are longer than stock EA81 shocks I just remember some one saying they had to use washers as spacers to push the shock out at the top because of the larger diameter of the coil over.

well I'll have to take a look at the cherry Brat to see what it looks like. You can use the square tubing as a spacer and put longer bolts in which I don't see it being a problem unless it rubs on the tire. Guess it all depends on how long the tubing is. Maybe those coilovers will end up in the cherry Brat;)