Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatch Drivers' w/lift/tires...

I am ready for the lift, got a 5s d/r:D , 27/8's?x7.5 (its early) on chevy 6 lug steelies, going to drill my hubs, get the rear disc conv. from j/y! I honestly dont have the cash to buy a lift kit so I'm a build one! Any of you Hatch drivers built your own instead of buying the kits from AA, BYB/Oz? I have pretty much all the tools to do the work. If any of you have input on building rather than buying I would appreciate it. Time is probably the factor, with building it.? I have checked most of the FAQs for liftin/tire info but not too detailed. Maybe not looking hard enough. I'll keep posting as I start the transformation. THANK YOU ALL!! USMB RULES!

Sounds like it's going to be sweet!

The one tip I have for building your own lift kit is: buy your front strut top extensions premade from a lift kit manufacturer. They're are the hardest part to get right when making your own lift. This will be money well spent.

Also, just buy longer shocks for the rear, you don't need to make extensions there. I believe shocks from a 70 Chevelle bolt right in for a 4" lift... please search and double check that though.

3/16" mild steel is plenty burly enough for lift blocks. Build it like a "Hassey" lift as outlined on Subarubrat's website:

http://www.subarubrat.com/hasseylift.htm

This makes for a very, very strong lift. I went ahead and built a whole frame for mine by connecting the lift blocks front to rear. Pics are in my gallery.

Good Luck!

I am ready for the lift, got a 5s d/r:D , 27/8's?x7.5 (its early) on chevy 6 lug steelies, going to drill my hubs, get the rear disc conv. from j/y! I honestly dont have the cash to buy a lift kit so I'm a build one! Any of you Hatch drivers built your own instead of buying the kits from AA, BYB/Oz? I have pretty much all the tools to do the work. If any of you have input on building rather than buying I would appreciate it. Time is probably the factor, with building it.? I have checked most of the FAQs for liftin/tire info but not too detailed. Maybe not looking hard enough. I'll keep posting as I start the transformation. THANK YOU ALL!! USMB RULES!

I would consider dropping this guy a line.

Hes in the process of making just what you would need!

I know you want to build one and I know Scott sells pieces outside of a kit.

:D seriously thanks guys! I will definetely be checking out other sites like subarubrats' and SJR lifts, and bratsrus (jerry) has the 5 speed kit for like a hunderd bucks... I am currently pulling my motor, out of the hatch, pulling the motor/trans. out of the ea82 wgn, got some other parts too, any one around here need anything? free, maybe you pick it up... but anyway, I hope to have some pics on here soon. This project is a bit of an experience, so I'll be in touch with you all! Thanks again!

burtonsnowman- I am still driving my wagon for now and will most likely keep it, the 86 suffered bad deer collision. Going to tear into that this week. See you at the hill!

Yes!! got the brat home; towed it. This is going to be the one; not the hatch to be lifted. It is in better shape than the brat. Cut fenders, got bumpers, roll bar jump seats! cant wait to get into it. What if any front suspension parts will swap from either ea81-82 wagons? also going to try and find some other type of rear tail lights, maybe toyota or nissan truck lights? anyway.....