Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For a few days now, the ABS light comes on when the car is started and doesn't go off...no recent work done on the car...front pads and rotors where replaced in October (fluid lines weren't open) and had been working well ever since. Also noticed since the light came on that the brakes appear softer than they were. Car is a Legacy Wagon '01.

Any idea what could trigger the ABS light to stay on?

I've done a number of searches but couldn't find anything similar...

Thanks,

Patrick

I disagree, about the ABS light coming on AFTER driving. It depends on the failing component. A simple wheel sensor, either open or shorted, will fail the diagnostics run at startup and keep the ABS light on and the ABS from functioning.

Read out the code instead of guessing.

As some of you may remember, my first post here was a request for the meaning of an ABS trouble code. The problem was evidenced by the ABS light often (but not always) remaining on after starting, or sometimes coming on after driving a few feet. In my case, the defective wheel-speed sensor apparently was marginally bad, with its resistance at about the threshold needed to fail the diagnostics at startup. It seems the times that the bad sensor wasn't caught by the "static" check at startup, the low tonewheel-generated "dynamic" output was detected as soon as I got moving. I hope relating my own experience helps.

Thanks for the PDFs, Ferret, and I agree that reading the code(s) is the first step.

For a few days now, the ABS light comes on when the car is started and doesn't go off...no recent work done on the car...front pads and rotors where replaced in October (fluid lines weren't open) and had been working well ever since. Also noticed since the light came on that the brakes appear softer than they were. Car is a Legacy Wagon '01.

Any idea what could trigger the ABS light to stay on?

I've done a number of searches but couldn't find anything similar...

Thanks,

Patrick

Have you had your alternator/battery/charging system checked?

One symptom is the lower voltage drop causing the brake/ABS indicators to light. Happened on my 96 OBW - (weak altenator which I replaced).

Had a ABS indicator light on the 05 OBW, turned out to be mud/dirt on the sensor (from driving back roads in northern Minnesota last summer)

Just a thought.

• 5 months later...

Ferret,

Can you please send me the 2 attachments you listed below? I am trying to figure out why my abs light will not go out on my 98 Forester. I need to check the sensor adjustment on the rear brakes since I did the service and caused the light to come on. I hope the sensor just needs to be adjusted and then I can reset the system.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!:banana:

Luigipepper

2 Attachments below. Page 5 of the 1st tells you how to readout the ABS codes by attaching a terminal to the test connector. Then how to clear the ABS memory.

The 2nd one is the Diagnostic Trouble codes.