Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ABS light stays on

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ott_leg01

ott_leg01

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • ottawa

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:46 PM

For a few days now, the ABS light comes on when the car is started and doesn't go off...no recent work done on the car...front pads and rotors where replaced in October (fluid lines weren't open) and had been working well ever since. Also noticed since the light came on that the brakes appear softer than they were. Car is a Legacy Wagon '01.

Any idea what could trigger the ABS light to stay on?

I've done a number of searches but couldn't find anything similar...

Thanks,
Patrick

#2 Strakes

Strakes

Kaboom? Kaboom?

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • Knoxville

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:29 PM

Something's afoot with the ABS. If the light stays on, there is a fault or malfunction in the ABS. You may want to have a good Subaru shop check it out.

#3 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

2 Attachments below. Page 5 of the 1st tells you how to readout the ABS codes by attaching a terminal to the test connector. Then how to clear the ABS memory.
The 2nd one is the Diagnostic Trouble codes.

#4 97OBW

97OBW

Banned

• Banned
  • 190 posts
  • waxhaw

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:13 PM

mine comes on when im in some extreme mud

#5 curtis crandall

curtis crandall

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • palm springs

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:00 AM

had the same problem on my 93, change out abs/cruise control fuse
if there is a problem with the abs it will turn on after the car has been driven
not as soon as you start it.

#6 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 11 February 2006 - 06:38 AM

I disagree, about the ABS light coming on AFTER driving. It depends on the failing component. A simple wheel sensor, either open or shorted, will fail the diagnostics run at startup and keep the ABS light on and the ABS from functioning.

Read out the code instead of guessing.

#7 OB99W

OB99W

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,315 posts
  • Ithaca

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:05 AM

As some of you may remember, my first post here was a request for the meaning of an ABS trouble code. The problem was evidenced by the ABS light often (but not always) remaining on after starting, or sometimes coming on after driving a few feet. In my case, the defective wheel-speed sensor apparently was marginally bad, with its resistance at about the threshold needed to fail the diagnostics at startup. It seems the times that the bad sensor wasn't caught by the "static" check at startup, the low tonewheel-generated "dynamic" output was detected as soon as I got moving. I hope relating my own experience helps.

Thanks for the PDFs, Ferret, and I agree that reading the code(s) is the first step.

#8 PAezb

PAezb

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 407 posts
  • USA

Posted 11 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

For a few days now, the ABS light comes on when the car is started and doesn't go off...no recent work done on the car...front pads and rotors where replaced in October (fluid lines weren't open) and had been working well ever since. Also noticed since the light came on that the brakes appear softer than they were. Car is a Legacy Wagon '01.

Any idea what could trigger the ABS light to stay on?

I've done a number of searches but couldn't find anything similar...

Thanks,
Patrick

Have you had your alternator/battery/charging system checked?
One symptom is the lower voltage drop causing the brake/ABS indicators to light. Happened on my 96 OBW - (weak altenator which I replaced).

Had a ABS indicator light on the 05 OBW, turned out to be mud/dirt on the sensor (from driving back roads in northern Minnesota last summer)

Just a thought.

#9 Luigipepper

Luigipepper

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Austin

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

Ferret,

Can you please send me the 2 attachments you listed below? I am trying to figure out why my abs light will not go out on my 98 Forester. I need to check the sensor adjustment on the rear brakes since I did the service and caused the light to come on. I hope the sensor just needs to be adjusted and then I can reset the system.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!:banana:

Luigipepper

2 Attachments below. Page 5 of the 1st tells you how to readout the ABS codes by attaching a terminal to the test connector. Then how to clear the ABS memory.
The 2nd one is the Diagnostic Trouble codes.

#10 ferret

ferret

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • Northern NJ

Posted 31 July 2006 - 05:10 PM

They will be here to save for a few days

Attached Files

#11 Subaru_for_LIfe

Subaru_for_LIfe

USMB Regular