Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3A/T flush and fluid change

Experts,

I don't have my owner's manual in front of me, and I wanted to place an online order enough ATF fluid to replace ALL of the ATF in my transmission following a flush.

Does anyone have capacity info handy? Also has anyone had any luck with Redline D4 ATF?

Thanks.

./steve

1986 GL-10 Turbo Wagon, 3AT, FWD

The 1985 FSM listing for the COMPLETE transmission capacity is 7.2-7.6 quarts for a 4WD car, and 6.3-6.8 quarts for a FWD car - I don't know why there is a range for capacity, but there is

be sure to change the filter/screen too - you have to remove the pan to access it - I don't know about the Redline Dexron IV fluid, but Dexrons are backwards-compatible, so it should be fine

I do know that there is a Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but I have never used it (don't have an auto soob)

be careful with "flushes" - I don't have an auto soob, but I have had some "flushes" damage trannies in other brands of car because they force the fluid durring the change at a higher pressure than the tranny can handle, and it damages seals - have had this happen in several of my friend's cars - I think one was a honda, and the other a mitsubishi - don't know if it could damage the subaru tranny, just be sure to check and make sure a good shop is doing it

good luck

btw - if you want to be really good about the job, change the front diff oil to - 75W90 Mobil 1 for me - the capacity is 1.3 quarts, and you have two socket drive-style bolts on the driver's side behind the CV axle - one for fill/check, one for draining

The 1985 FSM listing for the COMPLETE transmission capacity is 7.2-7.6 quarts for a 4WD car, and 6.3-6.8 quarts for a FWD car - I don't know why there is a range for capacity, but there is

be sure to change the filter/screen too - you have to remove the pan to access it - I don't know about the Redline Dexron IV fluid, but Dexrons are backwards-compatible, so it should be fine

I do know that there is a Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF, but I have never used it (don't have an auto soob)

be careful with "flushes" - I don't have an auto soob, but I have had some "flushes" damage trannies in other brands of car because they force the fluid durring the change at a higher pressure than the tranny can handle, and it damages seals - have had this happen in several of my friend's cars - I think one was a honda, and the other a mitsubishi - don't know if it could damage the subaru tranny, just be sure to check and make sure a good shop is doing it

good luck

btw - if you want to be really good about the job, change the front diff oil to - 75W90 Mobil 1 for me - the capacity is 1.3 quarts, and you have two socket drive-style bolts on the driver's side behind the CV axle - one for fill/check, one for draining

Yeah I've been warned about the flush, but I how else do I get all the old fluid out of the torque converter?

Ignorance is grand...please enlighten me.

./steve

there are systems that take the fluid at the tranny's pressure and change it out that way - that is actually the "traditional" way of doing it - they hook into the cooling circuit, or into other special points on the tranny - a transmission shop is the best place to go for this job - and a honest one with a good reputation at that - If you express your concern about the flush damaging it, and they tell you that their machine won't damage it, and good explination why; I would be satisfied - better still, get them to gurantee that the machine won't hurt your tranny - don't worry about how much fluid gets changed beyond ~80-90% - in reality, any gummy stuff should either come out, or be amply diluted by such a change - I actually had a long talk on this very subject with a neighbor who ran a tranny shop for years until he retired because of the afforementioned problems with my friends car - he also was a higher-up person in Mobil - so I am a little biased as to which oils/lubricants I use :D

if you are really woried about the tranny, see if the shop will clean/rebuild your govenor valve assy - I think info on that is in the repair manual section of this site

if you need a name for a tranmission shop, ask someone with a ~96-00 Dodge Caravan :-\

actually, I think most any Chrystler produce made ~96-00 (maybe later) will do :lol:

good luck

Personal experience says do the SeaFoam flush.It gets a good amount of the old crap out.Don't forget that unless you pull and empty the torque converter you never actually flush all the old fluid out.But it's still a good thing to do it and not worry just yet that you didn't go all out.

Give it time.And most of all make sure you fill it to the proper level.:) I read the wrong part of the manual and filled about halfway because I confused the amount needed for the differential.Then it acted MUCH better but still needed to get some miles done to make it shift excellent again.

I also changed the modulator,which is super easy and around $20-30 tops.

Most shops will be hesitant to do a trans flush for any vehicle over 75,000mi on it without a history of prior service. I have been a master tech for several years and have seen very few failures when flushing a good working trans. If the trans has any shifting or slipping issues before hand, they will magnified.

'87 GL-10 Turbo 4WD