Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Subaru Legacy Outback problems...help!

Hey Guys I'm new to this forum and I'm in desparate need for some technical advice. I'VE BEEN working on this 1999 Legacy Outback 2.5l DOHC manual trans. It has three problems (1) Check engine light on...P1507 (2) stalls

(3) misfires bad

These three problems all seem to happen within the first 1/4 mile when car is cold. It doesn't need to be cold outside just a cold engine. If I clear the code the light goes out and stays out.

The strangest thing is when it misfires,the front two cylinders are both missing. Cyls #1 #2. No ijnector pulse. Injectors do have 12v supply, but no ground toggle. If I turn off the engine, wait 60 seconds.. start it back up....Problem is gone until it get cold and driven for about 1/4 mile. I thought it was the computer..replaced it and still happens.

Any thoughts/ ideas would be great

Thanks

Phil

P1507 is the Idle control solenoid on top of the throttle body. Google that code to confirm. The assy comes off with a couple of screws. The misfire could be caused by several items, Injectors, plugs, plug wires. Take the easy stuff first. I'd correct the P1507 first and then see what comes up.

Electrically the IAC (P1507) and the injectors have a common connector , I would check the connector that goes from the firewall to the engine , there are three connectors on the right side of the motor . Pop them aprt and see if there is any corrosion . Should be a 16 pin connector , concentrate on the two centre rows

Hope this helps

SEA#3

Well I just got back from the shop and I'm pretty sure I fixthis one. I found some info on the web and on IATN that there is a connection between the ecm needing to see wether the trans in gear on neutral and the ability to control the idle. The code for P1507 was set bec ause the gear select/ neutral was bad. No continuity while in gear.

The stall was from the ecm not being in control of the idle

The missing cyl #1 #2 was a fail safe condition set by the computer.

In short..replaced the switch and all is good

Thanks for your help

Phil